NREMT-P Practical KED Fail

Yesterday, I took my NREMT-P practical exam in Jersey City, NJ after successfully passing my written examination. After completing the stations I was informed that I had passed all the stations aside from the KED. They offered an afternoon retest which I took as I got excited seeing as I could be a Paramedic when I left. Unfortunately I was then informed that I failed the KED again. Now I have 1 shot left to do the KED or I have to do everything over again. I am looking for some advice as to where to retest at and how I should feel about this. I feel as though I understand the KED and know why I failed the first go round (used wrong strap order MBLHT), but not the second. Just more annoyed that 2 and a half years of schooling completed without incident and the BLS skill screws me up. Thanks.

• Like 1

There is no specific strap order regarding the KED as long as you secure the torso first. You can download the NREMT seated spinal immobilisation skill sheet from the NREMT and study/practice with it. If you were actually told by the site coordinator exactly what you did wrong, there may have been a breech in protocol in how the test site was conducted. I am assuming this was a NREMT test site. Unfortunately, the KED is part of a larger station known as the random basic skill test, and it is possible that you may end up doing another type of skill such as haemorrhage/shock if you go to another test site.

• Like 1

One thing I can tell you is that the most common reasons for failing the random basic skill stations are PPE/BSI and re-assessing pulse, motor, and sensory after the application of any devices. I would practice with that skill sheet, there are also videos you can find online of examples. One other important thing to remember is to talk through all the steps. What your evaluator cannot see, they cannot score. So if you verbalized everything while you're doing it, it helps to ensure you get credit.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I also recently (1 month) took my NREMT-P written/practical and our BLS station was KED. I had the same issue as I failed initially and passed all other stations. My exam was held in NYC. Long story short, island emt, nailed it. The paramedics who administered the exam were absurd. Other people in this thread made great points study the skill sheet and practice, give them no reason to fail you. I fortunately passed the retest, but my understanding is you can protest to the NREMT representative if you feel you have been failed unfairly. Good luck

• Like 1

I'm kind of with ncnrmedic, if I were you I'd look to the critical fails.

I'm curious, did you retest with the same proctor in the afternoon?

Why would I look to the critical fails? Because applying the KED isn't really that tough. Your post leads me to believe that you're way smarter than you need to be for the task, (hopefully that sounds like the compliment that it's meant to be) which leads me to believe that you missed something critical, yet simple.

One mistake that I see people make is that they try to rush. You have, what? Ten minutes? Fifteen, something like that? You could KED an entire busload of huge fat people in that amount of time.

BSI, Scene safe, check PMS, apply, recheck PMS, and here's the secret...honest to goodness. Then start over again!

"Is there anything else that you would like to say or do before completing this exercise?" "Yes, I'd just like to verify that I entered the scene wearing proper PPE? I'd like to verify that the scene was safe? I would like to verify that I checked the patients PMS prior to applying the KED?"

Any check mark that you missed, must now be checked, if you hit it this time through...See? THIS IS A GAME. STOP TAKING IT SO SERIOUSLY.

If you mention something, the proctor has to check that box. If you don't, they can't. You win the game by having them check all of the boxes. It doesn't matter if they like you, if you walk in with your weenie/coochie hanging out, smell bad, burp and fart all the way through..if you say it, you win, if you don't, you lose. Easy peesy...

Nail this thing, then go get drunk and naked. Home is probably best for this, but take what you can get. What? Everyone doesn't celebrate ever victory by getting drunk and naked? Why? (What?!?! The mail came today?? Wheeeewwwwwww! Paaaaaarty!!)

Sorry, this post is probably light years late...but there you have it...Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.