Becoming an active citizen of EMTCity!

J306

Hey team it has been a while since I've posted on here, but I've been checking the forums weekly. I passed my final semester of ACP school with flying colours and managed to get the highest mark on the 200 question comprehensive exam at the end scoring 93%!

For the summer break, I decided to volunteer to teach first aid at a summer wilderness camp I've been involved with for the past 4 years and then I travelled to Thailand with a couple good friends on a shoestring budget and made it back in time for my Labour and Delivery shifts at the hospital. Delivering babies was definitely a fun way to get back into the groove of things after a month and a half break!

I was able to do some reading while I was gone, but nowhere near the amount I needed or wanted to in order to maintain my knowledge base that I had worked so hard to build while in school. I start my first shift of my final ambulance practicum tomorrow morning, and I have to admit that I'm a bit nervous after taking such a long time off. I am also in the process of starting a strict study schedule for my upcoming licencing exam in November. I plan to do about 2-3 hours a day at home, and to review my study notes in between calls at work.

One of my most important resources though will be the City. When I first started here and school I was pleased to find such a supportive group of people with input from all over the world. The place where I'll be doing my practicum has recently had a new owner and my last experience was a good one because of the calls and learning, but the work environment was quite negative and the morale fairly low. I want to start sharing the calls and the things I've learned from them throughout this final 8 tours. I want to get to the point where I feel confident behind each and every one of my treatment plans and when asked about them I can calmly and confidently defend my position. I look forward to becoming an active citizen again in the city.

• Like 1

Good to see you and congrats on the excellent ACP result. You worked hard and your patients will benefit.

Fresh out of school I was cast to the wilds of Western Arizona to sink or swim. I don't know what I would have done without the wonderful people on this site. They would pat me on the back or kick me in the ass as I earned it. There was nowhere else I could turn to for good clinical advise (and terrible personal - jk).

I look forward to your postings.