Hi from North Carolina!

CaveyTheEMT

Hi everyone! my name is Jocelyn and I am a fairly new volunteer EMT out of North Carolina. I look forward to meeting everyone and hopefully learn a thing here and there!

Let me bother you guys with a question! is there any tactical or flight medics on here? it'd be my dream career to do one of the two.

Hi everyone! my name is Jocelyn and I am a fairly new volunteer EMT out of North Carolina. I look forward to meeting everyone and hopefully learn a thing here and there!

Let me bother you guys with a question! is there any tactical or flight medics on here? it'd be my dream career to do one of the two.

There are a smattering of Tactical medics and a couple more flight medics.

You will have a much harder time becoming a tactical medic without the law enforcement background but it can be done, not saying very difficult, just saying, hard.

Flight medic is really just getting your medic, getting street experience and then getting in at a flight service at the right time when they have an opening. I have found that the flight services in my area(and several other ground services) operate under what I call "who you know" and if you don't know the right people there's no way in hell you are going to get a job with any of those services.

But the jobs are out there but you also have to understand that flight medicine is quickly becoming the Alaska Fisherman of EMS in danger factor.

Keep your dreams alive my lady, don't let them die. You can do it but it is going to take some hard work on your end.

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

Welcome.

I have flown in the past. I'll say for now, as a new EMT, focus on becoming a good EMT. Better yet, focus on getting into paramedic school and becoming a good paramedic.

You'll need at least 3-5 years of busy 911 experience before a flight service will consider you. Even then it's a matter of who you know and how good you are. Not that any of this matters right now. Keep it as a goal if you decide you still like EMS. But take things one step at a time.

There are a smattering of Tactical medics and a couple more flight medics.

You will have a much harder time becoming a tactical medic without the law enforcement background but it can be done, not saying very difficult, just saying, hard.

Flight medic is really just getting your medic, getting street experience and then getting in at a flight service at the right time when they have an opening. I have found that the flight services in my area(and several other ground services) operate under what I call "who you know" and if you don't know the right people there's no way in hell you are going to get a job with any of those services.

But the jobs are out there but you also have to understand that flight medicine is quickly becoming the Alaska Fisherman of EMS in danger factor.

Keep your dreams alive my lady, don't let them die. You can do it but it is going to take some hard work on your end.

What do you mean by a law enforcement background? are you talking about taking a few CJ courses, or actually becoming a police officer first? I think the flight medic would be easier compared to becoming a tactical medic and most places around me the tactical medics are all part time. I've never met one before, but I have read it on one of the departments websites. I have been trying to get into contact with AirCare to do a ride-a-long with them but haven't had much luck with that yet.

I know it's going to be a long road, but I enjoy challenges lol. I tried joining the Army as a medic, but never made it past MEPS.

Welcome to the City!! Congrats on becoming an EMT as well.

Yes Captain means an actual officer. Most Tactical guys are officers first, not saying in your area its is that way but more likely than not. I know the one or two I have spoken with all said their respective departments don't look outside of the dept for their medics. They want them to be good officers first in the heat of the situation then be good medics if necessary. Like I said, that what was told to me.

Keep your dreams alive though and ask around. Sometimes you have to kick the door open vs waiting on a knock.

Did a ride along with our Flight crew once, you can have it LOL too many parts flying around in an organized fashion for me LOL but a word of advice on getting one, be the squeaky wheel. I had to ask everyday for almost a year before the Captain finally said it was a go to just get me to stop calling. Became good friends with the Captain and the crew since then actually from that experience.

Again welcome to the City. Hope to see you around the threads. Ask questions alot, none are stupid or dumb, we will respond and give our knowlege but be prepared we are honest here and you might not like the response but don't let it discourage you. My biggest asset when I first started as an EMT was this place and the honesty really helped me see my mistakes and learn from them. I had to own the mistake thats for sure but it made me a better EMT because of it and it benifits my patients.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you have dreams, Jocelyn. I worked at a major trauma center in the 80's, we had two life flight choppers. It was SOOO COOL, I loved it when the tones went off for the trauma team and I could hear the roar of the take off or landing approach. My job was in the ER, but I'd stand outside and watch, it added excitement to my evenings.

I also live in NC. I work for a large system with Tactical Medics. No law enforcement background is necessary, but you do need to be a Paramedic with several years of experience (3-4 years minimum). Our people train with the SWAT teams and really seem to enjoy it.

As far as the Flight Medics, our local hospital provides RN's and RT's for the helicopter and fixed wings, but they do have Paramedics on the ground units. If you really want to be a Flight Medic, I would encourage you to get your RN along with your Paramedic. This will open up some doors for you that you would not otherwise have if you just get your Paramedic certification.

Best of luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.