Family Ride alongs?

emt399

A good lawyer could argue the release isn't legit. Signed under emotional duress and all of that...just a thought.

If that policy is still in place, you could get yourself into trouble by not getting a release signed.

Agreed. We need to either get a release form, or drop the policy.

Family rides up front unless patient is a minor child and is not having life threatening issues. Only other exception is if patient doesn't speak English and family member can interpret for me.

No release needed, it is my decision as the tech if a person rides with us or if they ride in back with me. The patient is my responsibility and I do not want anyone interfering with my care of said patient. I learned this the hard way.

Family are in the back with us and the patient. Seatbelt on of course. If a second family member then they ride up front or if the patient is sick and we are working on them in the back and don't want the family to see or get in the way.

• Like 1

Family rides up front unless patient is a minor child and is not having life threatening issues. Only other exception is if patient doesn't speak English and family member can interpret for me.

No release needed, it is my decision as the tech if a person rides with us or if they ride in back with me. The patient is my responsibility and I do not want anyone interfering with my care of said patient. I learned this the hard way.

Yep Mike, I've also learned the hard way about having a family or friend ride wiht the patient and then interfering with patient care. I got a couple of bruised ribs from it.

Yep Mike, I've also learned the hard way about having a family or friend ride wiht the patient and then interfering with patient care. I got a couple of bruised ribs from it.

Fortunately mine didn't result in injury but did result in a guy being removed from hospital and almost arrested.

You can forget the "release form", it is worthless, if you crash, everyone will sue you regardless of how many forms you have. It is best to have family ride up front in the cab, with a real seatbelt (and usually airbag). In any significant crash, everyone in the box will be injured if not killed (google ambulance crash videos).

You can forget the "release form", it is worthless, if you crash, everyone will sue you regardless of how many forms you have. It is best to have family ride up front in the cab, with a real seatbelt (and usually airbag). In any significant crash, everyone in the box will be injured if not killed (google ambulance crash videos).

Actually, you are 90% correct. What I believe a release form does is it puts in the back of the mind of a rider that they took the risk and they signed a release and they wouldn't sue unless they were coaxed by other outside factors.

And even though they sue it Doesn't mean they are going to get anything out of the lawsuit. They have to win.

But unfortunately, with this country's jury system and court system, it's an open pot of gold for plaintiffs.

• 3 weeks later...

And what have you decided to replace it with?????

At this point, we don;t really have anything to replace it with, other than our procedures as to whom can and can;t ride, where they ride, and so forth.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.