Codes

I got a call from him and he asked me what the protocols said. They read "Do not give unless cardiac arrest as occured and the first line of drugs have been given." He said that as long as I follow that prototcol, I would be backed up by his licensure. "Make sure you have fully documented the use of the first line drugs from the AHA algorhythm and the service's protocols," he told me. "By doing that, you will be fully covered. However, be careful when you give it. Don't give it because you are not sure of downtime. Given only when you exhausted the first line treatments." So, by that, I will be much more judicious in my treatments of cardiac arrest of unknown downtime.

The more I thought about what you wrote, Captain, the more I realized I put my license on the line when I should have been more thoughtful of my treating my patient appropriately. Thanks for making me open my eyes! Made me a bette medic in the long run, I'm sure of it. Knew there was a reason for coming back to this site!!

Damn, no need to thank me but thanks, I'm glad that you did your due diligence and read your protocols and followed up with your medical director.

Again, those docs in the ED will not Back you if you harm the patient, they probably won't back you if you dont' harm the patient if you go against your protocol. But if you follow your protocol and have your Med directors backing then you are good to go.

Protocols are guidelines sure but they are also what keep your butt out of court or at least help keep it out of court.

nothing worse than giving a medication that is not in protocol and then getting gigged on it.

I have a story about being called on going outside of protocol and being accused of practicing medicine without a licence but my medical director backed me on it so know your protocols. It nearly went to the State bureau of EMS. Thankfully my medical director nixed it. It's a story for another day. PM me if you want it.