Running Your Own 1st Aid/CPR Training Courses

Jungaree

Hi all,

I hope I've posted this in the right forum. As a prospective paramedic student who might get into teaching Emergency and Standard 1st Aid and CPR training workshops, I'm wondering what the start up costs are for the equipment if I wanted to run my own business. Also wondering about how easy/difficult it is to do so. I'm located in Toronto, Canada but happy to hear advice/comments from anywhere.

Cheers!

Edited by Jungaree
  • Like 1

Hey Brother, Welcome to the City!

I moved this from 'students' to 'instructors' not because you'd placed it poorly, but because I thought that you might get better information here.

Good to have you!

Dwayne

Hey Jungaree, I would in all honesty recomend teaching for another education services for awhile as a new instructor and let them absorb some of the costs. Equipment wise you will be looking at $2000 minimum for equipment and teaching aids, Also depending which agency you are teaching with (Saint John, Heart and Stroke, etc) You will have to pay $300/mos for liability and errors and omissions insurance, and with Red Cross that Insurance is mandatory. Just some food for thought.

Thrutheashes

If you're not an experienced instructor already, I'd recommend getting in touch with your local St. John Ambulance branch. SJA has a good instructor training program with lots of follow up mentoring with seasoned instructors to help you develop. They are really great at supporting their instructional staff.

Hi again, And thanks for the warm welcome, Dwayne! I appreciate the advice, Thrutheashes. Seems like a good way to break into instructing, as the startup, liability and insurance looks a little costly... Also a good way to network and know what I'd need. CPRted, I'm a mature (43) student/elementary teacher and thus very comfortable with teaching...would it still be recommendable to do the SJA course for instructing as opposed to other programs? Also, do I need to be a paramedic first to take the instructor's course? Thanks again, all. Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 4

regardless of wheher you are training for Red Cross, of SJA, they are both good at supporting their instructors. Probably easier to find a school to teach for under SJA, but I personally like and stick with the Red Cross program as I find it is written for the general public with zero medical experience. There are a multitude of training centre's around, you just need to check your yellow pages.

As for being a paramedic first? Not at all. there are instructors out there whom have no EMS experience what so ever. EMS experience is definitely an asset, but by no means a requirement.

Thru

I didn't mean to suggest that RC doesn't support new instructors, they certainly do and the RC Instructor Training program is a really good one.

One of the big differences between teaching for SJA and RC is the delivery model. SJA delivers most of their courses directly through a branch and the instructors of employed on contract with St. John. RC delivers its courses through "Training Partners."

Neither requires you to be a paramedic to go through their instructor training, though you do need to have some sort of First Aid/Health Care experience and be solid with your skills.

• 5 years later...
On 8/30/2013 at 2:53 PM, Jungaree said:

Hi all,

I hope I've posted this in the right forum. As a prospective paramedic student who might get into teaching Emergency and Standard 1st Aid and CPR training workshops, I'm wondering what the start up costs are for the equipment if I wanted to run my own business. Also wondering about how easy/difficult it is to do so. I'm located in Toronto, Canada but happy to hear advice/comments from anywhere.

Cheers!

It is pretty easy to get started.  You need to take an instructor class, buy the video's and manikins.  Once all this is completed you are all set.  For manikins depending where you get you instructor training you may be able to rent them to start.  All this can be done for less then a $1000.  

Edited by bullmaster