Florida EMT schools

skinny117

Hi,

I'm a high school student who wants to be an EMT and eventually a Paramedic. I just need some advice on which EMT school/program to attend. I currently have my sights set on these people, https://www.commercialdivingacademy.com/emergency-medical.da . Is this a "medic mill" or do you think its legit? I know you can only get so much from a web page but do any of you know anyone who's been there or have any of you even heard of it? I want a good program so I can be competent.

Also, do any of you have any specific recommendations for a certain school in Florida. Thanks!

That's a pretty short class and anything really to me associated with a fire department and being so short makes me leary, the reason why.

This sounds an awful lot like they are taking students who want to be firefighters only and shoving them through a very condensed and rushed EMT Class. I would say that EMT is not rocket science but it is a class that you should at least pay attention in and 12 hours of class in one day is really too much in my humble opinion.

This may not be a medic mill but it seems to me that with the length of the course that it might just be.

I don't know anything more than what I saw on the website and I did find this info - take this as a advertisement for the program as they probably sent all the info yousee on this referenced web page to the site owner. http://colleges.findthebest.com/l/6786/Commercial-Diving-Academy

Here is a Better business bureau report on the school http://www.bbb.org/north-east-florida/Business-Reviews/diving-instruction/commercial-diving-academy-in-jacksonville-fl-9002036/complaints

Do your due diligence, go to the school and sit through a sample class if they will let you. If they refuse to let you sit through a class then that's a RED FLAG to me.

Sit in the parking lot and wait for a couple of people to come out of the building and walk up to them and ask them questions. Don't rely on the list of people they might give you to contact as many of those lists are seeded with people who they have hand picked to give AWESOME reviews.

It is up to you to do your due diligence and investigations as to what the program is like and whether you will be happy with the program.

and remember - a program is only really as good as how you make it. IF you don't give a crap about your education or vice versa that will color the outcome you have with this program and class.

Ruff

I looked into it more and emailed the admissions lady. Turns out it is a course for the diver student to go to to be qualified for diver medic training. It is short and has 12 hour days because it is accelerated so the divers can get to the diver medic class quickly, any one can attend even if they are not divers. I'm thinking that diver medic is pretty serious so I think they would need an in depth EMT-B course. The place also has dorms which is a bonus for me.

My plan is to get my emt cert, work with that for a year and then go big and get an paramedic associates degree. Because most paramedic programs require an EMT-B cert and a years worth of experience, right? What I plan on doing is working at my local volunteer FD (you don't need to be a firefighter, they have openings for EMT's only) and also get a job at a new hospital that was just built in my area. I heard you can get a job in an ER as an EMT.

How old are you? When do you graduate high school? What do you want to do in the military?

Unless things have changed drastically choosing certain medical tech jobs with the military will provide EMT training complete with NREMT-B testing. Paramedic school would probably still be up to you.

If you're interested in pursuing this on your own outside of military provided training you're going to need to consider which schools are accredited by NREMT and/or by these guys. The second link will allow you to search for programs by state. (And really, pretty much everyone should be looking for an accredited program anyway.)

I looked into it more and emailed the admissions lady. Turns out it is a course for the diver student to go to to be qualified for diver medic training. It is short and has 12 hour days because it is accelerated so the divers can get to the diver medic class quickly, any one can attend even if they are not divers. I'm thinking that diver medic is pretty serious so I think they would need an in depth EMT-B course. The place also has dorms which is a bonus for me.

My plan is to get my emt cert, work with that for a year and then go big and get an paramedic associates degree. Because most paramedic programs require an EMT-B cert and a years worth of experience, right? What I plan on doing is working at my local volunteer FD (you don't need to be a firefighter, they have openings for EMT's only) and also get a job at a new hospital that was just built in my area. I heard you can get a job in an ER as an EMT.

You are planning on going to work for Baptist's new ED aren't you?

I nearly went to work for them but other things conspired against me.

I'm 18 and I'm graduating in 2014. I was thinking I could be just a grunt in the National Guard. Before I did not know that the Army's medic program provided national testing. And no, there is a new St. Vincent's hospital in my area. I don't mind paying for my own EMT school and I just want to keep it simple with the NG. Looking at the links you gave me I think FSCJ or Broward College would be a good choice for me. (Unless I move out of state before 1 year.)

OH yeah, St V's also has a new ed as well. So much expansion goin on down there.

Jax is a great area for EMS, but you really need to be a firefighter in order to get your tail on a 911 truck. Kind of a shame really