Humber and Centennial (Toronto) Students' Curriculum

Jungaree

• 1 month later...

Hey Junagree, I just graduated from the Centennial Paramedic program in the last few years so I've got some insight for you. To put it bluntly the program is VERY HARD and VERY INTENSIVE. It's 5 days a week of in class work, and generally when you're not there you're going to be either doing practice scenario calls or studying. You've mentioned that you've had previous university education which will help for sure but unfortunately there's more to it then just that. You will have to pass all your in class tests, and then seemlessly apply that information to the practical testing portion, which is a lot harder then it sounds as roughly 75% of my class had previous university education and many still flunked hardcore. You'll also be evaluated on your lifting ability, in hospital clinical portion, and real life ambulance ride out training. If you fail any one of these aspects you fail the entire program, no ifs and or buts, and generally anything bellow 60-70% depending on the class is a failure (in fact I think all other colleges set the fail mark at anything bellow 70% for all testing). Because of this the attrition rate for basically every paramedic program is over 50%, and even then not everyone who graduates will receive a job do to the ridiculous amount of competition in Ontario. There's not nearly enough jobs to go around, and even though Toronto is doing a ton of hiring right now by the time your graduate they'll likely have filled their quota and do very little hiring. I wouldn't even recommend working in Toronto, as I did my ambulance ride out training with Toronto EMS and HATED IT! In fact I turned down a full time job there to work part-time in a difference service, just cause I despised it that much. I realize I sound incredibly pessimistic, but the reality is there's a lot of people who have attempted to do what you're doing and regereted it for the reasons I've stated above.

Edited by Diptherious