Humber and Centennial (Toronto) Students' Curriculum

Jungaree

Hi all, I'm very close to applying for the paramedic programs there and would appreciate if anyone could tell me how intensive the program will be, as I'll need to work (supply teaching) while studying. Are the classes generally bunched into 2 or 3 days or is it a full 5-day/week program? (I'm 43, a teacher, and already have a few recent university science courses under my belt: biology, microbiology, anatomy and physiology, vertebrate anatomy and physiology, and chemistry.) Thanks in advance! Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 4

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would suggest that if no one answers you email the program coordinators who should be happy to help. I would suspect that you're unlikely to have more than one whole day off a week (and maybe not even that), but my knowledge on this is not current. Good luck!

I should add that if you truly can't stop working, you might want to look at Loyalist's program. Again, my knowledge isn't so current anymore but they did have a program a few years ago that would be much more conducive to working compared to Centennial or Humber. The educational quality of Centennial and Humber is unlikely to be matched though.

And I'll add one last thought while I am here, are you aware of the current job market for paramedics in Ontario? This should be an important consideration before diving into this career change.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. I am aware how difficult it is to get a job in Toronto. However, I am really interested in the learning aspect of the paramedic program... I'm also interested in the option of becoming an emergency first aid instructor and running my own third-party courses, as a way to make the education pay. I'd appreciate any thoughts on that as well. =) Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 4

Thanks for your reply. I've heard how difficult it is to get a job in Ontario and thus thinking i can manage financially by continuing to teach as long as long as is necessary ...while also becoming an emergency first aid instructor in addition to running my own third-party courses as a way to make the education pay. Any thoughts? Cheers. Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 4 Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 4

If it is what you want to do, then do it. I didn't mean to be discouraging, but it is just important to come into this aware of the realities of things. If you got on part time somewhere then you could probably keep teaching while working as a paramedic but this opens up a whole bunch of other points for discussion such as whether you are planning on only seeking work in the GTA (thus limiting overall opportunities) and whether working another job will slow down your rise in seniority to eventually secure a full time spot. You can cross this bridge when you get to it though.

BEorP, I didn't take that as discouraging. I appreciate any and all comments. Because I can supply teach (flexible, choose my work days), I'd eventually be able to transition to full time paramedic if the opportunity arises. Not to hijack my own thread, but any thoughts on earning income as an emergency first aid instructor? Easy/hard? Cheers. Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 4

That depends on what kind of income you expect and whether you're planning on working for yourself or someone else. If you do your own thing you have a lot of start up costs for equipment and need to worry about finding the business and doing all of the admin stuff yourself. You can also make reasonable money at this though, but you do often need to work for it. Alternatively, if you teach for a company that has the equipment, finds the business, and deals with all of the admin stuff you're likely to make much less (maybe around $20 an hour, but again this is something where my knowledge is getting a bit dated and it varies significantly by company).

What part of Toronto are you in?

It would probably be into the thousands to do it properly between the cost of the instructor course, mannequins, other props, and general training supplies.