Minimum Age Leniency?

VictoriaY

Hello Instructors,

I hope you all are doing well. I was just wondering, how many of you would be willing to allow a 15 year old student into one of your classes, if she were to turn 16 on the third day of class. The EMS program I've been looking at writes out its curriculum, and the first two classes are really just introductions and lectures about workforce safety (nothing too crazy), so, although it isn't technically "allowed," would a 15 year old, who is five days away from her 16th birthday (the third day of class), be able to join your class?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

Victoria

I will depend entirely on the program and their views on the issue. I know someone who started paramedic training 2 months before she turned 18, but it will be entirely up to the individual programs. Your best resource in this case would be to contact the program director and speak with them directly.

Good luck.

No service will hire anyone at this age, so if he/she completes school, they will be unhirable until at least age 18, maybe 21, assuming a clean driving record. Go all the way to Paramedic school (Insurance companies will not cover a driver under age 18, most will not cover under age 21.

Untrue. There are plenty of volunteer departments who accept junior membership at the age of 16. Please don't give inaccurate information and dismiss this girls dreams because you assumed she would want a paid job at first.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, WELCOME ABOARD!

In NY State, you have to be 18 to be an EMT. Back in 1974, one of my then brand new Volunteer Ambulance Corps members somehow got her EMT cert before she was 18. By the time it was investigated, she had then passed her 18th birthday. She later worked for the municipal EMS, becoming a Paramedic, and my supervisor therat as a Lieutenant.

If I recall NYS DoH (Department of Health) rules and regulations, as long as you're 18 on the day you take the state written test, even if the test is on the 18th birthday, it is OK.

As for "junior" members, most volunteer EMS agencies allow, under strict "senior member" supervision, 16 and 17 year old members to ride, but each of them are by individual evaluation as to how suited they are as underage personnel. (One of the Jr Volunteers offered the privilege to ride with my VAC declined, stating she wasn't ready.She also eventually entered service with the municipal EMS, and also became a Paramedic/Lieutenant.)

Just mentioning in passing that perhaps 15 or slightly more years ago, there were some "Ride-Along" shows featuring EMS from around the US, they had a couple of episodes featuring Junior members of the Teaneck NJ Volunteer Ambulance, again, under strict supervision.