Hello from Minnesota!

ems.rockstar2013

Hi guys! My name is Brandi, and I have just been accepted into a paramedic program through St. Cloud Technical and Community College! I am super excited about that! I have been an EMT-B for two years (still a young pup in the EMS field, I know). I am not sure what else anyone would like to know about me, but feel free to comment! :) Oh hey, anyone know of any Grants or Scholarships for MN for the paramedic student? That would be super helpful, I have applied for finacial aid, but would still like to avoid a loan if I can help it. So any other funding assistance would be great. So if you know of any helpful resources I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks guys!

Welcome. Have fun in paramedic school.

Talk to the financial aid office at your school about grants. That's where you'll find some of the best reference material for grants as they pertain to you, your school or your program.

The thing with grants and scholarships is that there are so many out there no one place is going to have a completely comprehensive list. I'm sure if people here are aware of any that might help you they'll post the information. However, you're going to have to do a lot of legwork on finding them, too.

Keep us posted.

Well school starts on monday! I am super excited! I will have to check with financial aid for sure tomorrow. I am not sure what is more exciting, spending a day in airconditioning or finally getting started on the education for my future career! :wave::confused: Haha these smiley's are kinda neat! :coool: Thanks guys for the welcome, and the advice!

Man...I spent a lot of hours freezing my boys off running up the river on snowmobiles from Mora to St. Cloud to chase girls...I even caught a few...I love the corn fed MN girls!!

Ask the program that you're going to if they might have some hosemonkey freebies left unused. (Many programs set aside scholarships for firemen that never get used.) My first year as a medic student I think that they gave me one worth $2,500.00 or so.

Good to have you girl...Welcome to the club...

Welcome! I know a few members who lurk here and have a friend in the area I can ask. There is always free money out there if you look for it. I'm looking at the Pubic health Service and the USUHS to pay for my nurse practitioner degree.

You know in the immortal words of Dustdevil, "are you hot?"

But I digress, I as well second the scholarship part, I was in a paramedic program that really catered to fire(hosemonkeys) and they had 5 unused scholarships. I asked and was presented with a 1700.00 scholarship which paid for 2/3's of my class. It cannot hurt to ask.

And welcome to the city.

Thanks for the advice guys! I will have to check out them hosemonkeys! Hahaha! DwayneEMTP Mora to st. cloud, now that is one hell of a long trip! Hahaha glad it was worth it if you caught a couple corn fed mn girls! ;) Oh and how many medics or medic students started I.V's on their first day of skills? Cause that was pretty awesome! I had some experience in the field so I got to demonstrate to the class on a fellow student, and I didn't blow it! that made the whole deal a lot less nerve racking once I knew the I.V. was sound! :) Fun times!

Starting your first IV the first time, that's pretty cool.

But I'll be a believer when I see you start your third on the same patient. There's nothing like a miss, and then another, on a critical patient with a million people watching to make you really, really wish that you did something else for a living...And do you know why the pressure is so high? At least for me...the bullshit belief that, "If I was a good provider I'd have hit that." Whatever..

But, truly. First IVs are good...but where you see if you have the balls to do this well or not is if you choose to make excuses as to why "you don't really need one that bad" before your second attempt..and, God forbid, your third. The majority of paramedics that I've worked with would choose the excuse. Strangely enough, almost none of the basics have hesitated. Second stick on a baby with the family watching, or a critical patient while the firemen are wanting you to get goging instead of screwing around with all of that silly medical stuff.

When having students in the ambulance that was kind of a big deal to me. If you miss your first and then look to me to take over...Grrrrr. Miss your first and start to immediately apologize to your patient while moving your tourniquet and starting to look for your next site...Yeah, I'm in love then. Nothing makes my nipples hard like seeing someone calmly attack their fear. And, maybe others were different, but I'm pretty sure that I can remember every third stick I've ever done (Meaning that the first two failed)...I hated it that bad..

Really cool to see you so excited. Stick it out here for a bit, ok? It takes a few weeks to really get a flavor for things, but once you do you'll never find another resource to match it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.