Hello from north east Scotland

fyvie

I have just become a member of emt city. I am a paramedic from Scotland looking to emigrate and looking forward to any help or advice anyone can offer me. Many thanks.

I have just become a member of emt city. I am a paramedic from Scotland looking to emigrate and looking forward to any help or advice anyone can offer me. Many thanks.

As mentioned, a lot depends where you want to go. The US won't entertain immigration based on being a paramedic, but some parts of Australia will. Canada might be a possibility. Assuming you are a UK citizen, you also have the whole EU as a possibility.

Edited by scott33

Dude, don't worry, the US has such pourous borders that it will be years before INS or Homeland Security ever figures out you are here illegally if indeed they ever figure it out.

Just come over on a Work visa and overstay it.

OF COURSE I"M JOKING but it seems that you could in fact do this and live forever in the US it seems.

Find a place you want to move to and live in, then let us know where that is and we can help you start finding the right resources to get you rolling. Your first place to start would be the www.nremt.org to get your national registry as most states require that now to get a license.

The other place is www.state.gov which would be the place to start looking at immigration process.

Find a place you want to move to and live in, then let us know where that is and we can help you start finding the right resources to get you rolling. Your first place to start would be the www.nremt.org to get your national registry as most states require that now to get a license.

The other place is www.state.gov which would be the place to start looking at immigration process.

I think you got those mixed up in order of priority.

As mentioned, even if she got reciprocity and her NREMT-P, it would not lead to an H1B. There is the additional burden of the sponsor (employer) of said H1B, having to prove to the US government that there are no US citizens able to do the job.

It's a lot more complicated than people seem to think - particularly those who have never gone through the process themselves.

Edited by scott33

Welcome. As others have mentioned the process is quite different from one country to the next so your journey could take any number of forms in the next little while. These are the two canadian paramedic regulators I deal with being registered in two provinces.

http://www.collegeofparamedics.org/

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/ema/

Both are very different to deal with and have different scope of practice requirements. I did my ACP/EMT-P training in Alberta because of this. These differences are also why I maintain an Alberta registration even though I currently work in BC.

I think you got those mixed up in order of priority.

As mentioned, even if she got reciprocity and her NREMT-P, it would not lead to an H1B. There is the additional burden of the sponsor (employer) of said H1B, having to prove to the US government that there are no US citizens able to do the job.

It's a lot more complicated than people seem to think - particularly those who have never gone through the process themselves.

That's fine, but those are two places to start her search. She can switch the two around.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.