Instructors Please help !

srothig

Good evening I hope this message finds you all well, I am trying to locate a AEMT program in Illinois and can't seem to find one does any of you know were I might be able to locate information on one ? Thanks a ton

And just a question would you recommend that I do my street time and put in for a medic program and skip the AEMT program all together ? Or do you think the AEMT would make a good stepping stone, Thank you

• Like 1

Skip AEMT and go straight for paramedic. If the AEMT component is included as part of whatever paramedic program you choose to enroll in that's fine. Just don't stop at AEMT. Otherwise, just find a paramedic program, an accredited paramedic program (by NREMT and these guys click here for more details), and go that way.

• Like 1

Understand that the material included in the AEMT is part of the total Paramedic program, so it's not like you would be skipping over anything. The question is whether or not you plan to work at that level. I, personally, think that working and gaining experience is never a bad thing. I also think I'm in the minority on this thought process.

My recommendation is, if you can afford it, take the NREMT test at the AEMT level. Whether or not you stop to practice is up to you, but I believe you will find it invaluable when it comes time to test out at the Paramedic level.

Toni

EMS Instructor

Texas

• Like 1

I agree with both previous posts. Field experience as any level of EMT will help you but it doesn't have to be at the AEMT level. In our program the EMT and AEMT will learn the same material regardless of their license levels. Get to the X and if that's medic for you go for it!

Sean H

NM EMS Instructor/ Flight Paramedic

• Like 1

Thank you all very much, my current plan is to take my A&P 1&2 and a few other courses and I plan on attending Loyola's Paramedic program in 2015, that is the first one open to new students and entrance exams start in May of 2014. My thing is since there is so much time in between now and medic school I did not want to just sit at a basic for the whole time and was looking at becoming a AEMT, what would you do in that situation? Thanks again..

Edited by srothig

Mike is right. What does your gut tell you to do? Gain some experience...and maybe some cash to go towards your schooling or sit on your butt and wait until class starts?

Will obtaining AEMT credentials help you advance in your job? If you can take it, make a bit more money and gain some experience, I cannot see any significant pitfalls with such a plan.

I think I am going to take as many courses as I can IE Math, Anatomy, Physiology, Terminology, and take Loyola's Basic to Paramedic boot camp ( 40 ) hours of prep for the Paramedic course, I also think I would benefit greatly from a AEMT course but if all the AEMT course work is in the Medic program i should just wait to take the medic program, I think I will talk to my employer to see if maybe twice a week if I can do ride along's with our medic's and get some experience that way on such things as medication dosages, and observe advanced procedures.

I have all ready taken PHTLS, BLS PEPP, EMS operations course so I have a well rounded idea of the inner workings of daily EMS operations.

If there is any thing anyone else can think of or has a opinion on what route might be better then the one I am planning feel free to comment and I really appreciate everyones

advice, Thank you

One other thought is for you to get those pre-requsites done, get your AEMT class under your belt if you can take it prior to when the medic class starts and also make some money by working to save up some cash for during class needs. Then when you are in class you will be the one the other students come to since you already know that stuff that they don't.

If you are single think of the chicks you might just meet. ha ha that's how I met one of my girlfriends - I had sat through a EMT class before I took my first emt class.