Any Combat Medics out there?

SoldierMedic13

We've got some good resources here. I'm sure one will come out to help you soon. Just start off by asking any questions you have. There are some great guys and gals here to guide you and mentor you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

SoldierMedic13, I joined the national Guard in July 1999 (I already had 10 years active duty Air Force and wanted to finish my retirement). I had received my paramedic license a couple of months prior. I went in as a combat medic and stayed until our detachment (128th Medical Ambulance Co Det 1) went away because of unit realignments throughout the State. I and several of my medic buddies cross trained over to Signal otherwise it was a two hour drive one way to attend drills. Because of our background, our company used us as casevac crews for the four day convoy from Kuwait to Iraq. Fortunately we were never attacked on the way up.

First) Never stop reading and studying. You will need ceu's to keep your license current through National Registry but not only that, it will keep you abreast of new techniques and theories about the field. If your unit will send you to classes relating to anything in EMS, volunteer for it.

Second) Always be aware of your soldiers' needs (from the most simple to the most complex). A hot day in the field may require you to check on every soldier for hydration and encourage him to drink fluids. He may have blisters that need treated. You may have to assess a soldier that is sick and or in pain. Keep accurate notes in case he has to be taken to a medical facility. Constantly check on your troops. When they know you care about them, they will come to you occasionally with problems (even emotional or personal problems because they trust you).

Third) Use your resources. Don't be afraid to ask for help or to ask questions from more experienced medics. Teach your troops as you treat them so that they can realize the importance of taking care of themselves if they can. We kept a copy of the 9 Line in our kevlar but we also had written it with a sharpie in the top left corner of the windshield of our humvee. We were able to see it plainly as we called in our report.

Fourth) In combat you are allowed a wide range of practice (as long as you know what you are doing and it may save that soldier's life) when working on your soldiers.

Fifth) As long as you have the desire to be the best combat medic you can be....you will be. Good Luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.