You talking one of those "computers" tells time, speed, distance,L&S engaged, brakes on/off, engine on/off, to interested supervisors, indicating how the vehicle was driven, and when? They can be your worst enemy, or best friend.

Yeah I remember those, I don't remember what we called them maybe AllSafe or something like that.

If you hit the brakes too hard you got a 30 and then if you hit the brakes or turned too hard again you got a 50.

I never was very good at driving to the scene but with a patient in the ambulance, I was smooth sailing all the way.

I hated those things. Had one medic partner who had a key to the box and opened the box and took the machine out and he made it give like 500 30's and 400 50's and we got the device removed from our ambulance. It was good while it lasted and then we got the upgraded version. We were the test ambulance for the new version. I disliked my partner for doing that.

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

Yeah I remember those, I don't remember what we called them maybe AllSafe or something like that.

If you hit the brakes too hard you got a 30 and then if you hit the brakes or turned too hard again you got a 50.

That was a different type device. I met the man who invented that system, and the company (I forget that name) mantra was "Drive With Low Forces". We got pay bonuses for keeping those numbers low, and monthly winners got that company's logo baseball cap.

The ones I was actually referring to sometimes look like a second speedometer, and newer varieties are still on the market (NOT in the famous Galls catalog!).

Yeah, I remember the bonuses, we had one driver who routinely got the top numbers. He was one of the higher paid drivers too. He also had some of the slowest response times to and from the scene. We had response time limits for certain types of calls. Code 1 calls had 8:59 seconds to get there and he was routinely arriving beyond those numbers but he didn't get a lot of 30's or 50's hence his nice bonuses but he was gigged a lot for exceeding his time limits to calls.

It was a catch 22 situation especially when we were expected to get to some location across town that with no traffic would take 11 minutes to get there and we were only given 8:59 seconds to get there.

See the stupidity in the numbers? The answer was more units but for the empire and even for the smaller mom and pop service I worked for who said money was no object, they just didn't add more units and when they did, the units were just always out of service on calls.

• 4 weeks later...

We had one driver go over a speed bump at about 45 miles per hour and knocked out his partner.

TOO FUNNY! I mean....NOW it's funny. Has anyone else had hospitals that had speed bumps on the only road in or out of the ER? I never understood that. We transported some high mucky-muck patient with a back injury to one of them. My partner was slightly off rolling over them, you know one wheel goes over then the other and you get tossed side to side pretty bad, even at half a mile per hour. High mucky-muck patient made all sorts of weird sounds.

Next time we went to that ER the bumps were gone.

I guess it's not what ya know, it's who ya know.

Your problem (if real) is not with the new guy, but with your management team. They put both of you in real danger, and you should be pissed. Instead of posting here, go vent to them.

Can't we vent to you? Your management. And where else are we to post our problems (if real)?

• Like 1

I say that from here on out, we bring all our problems to Mikeymedic, I mean he did put manager in his profile, so he's management so we can go vent and bitch all the while to him. I mean he has all the answers and by the tone of most of his posts to us menial staff, he's the smartest guy around.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.