How old are your ears?

paramedicmike

I saw this on a running forum I frequent and thought I'd share here.

After years of siren and turbine/rotor noise I'm surprised my ears work as well as they do. I could hear up to the "under 24" sounds with the earphone volume less than halfway.

There's very little scientific about this. But I thought it was interesting.

Coincidentally, the range of frequencies of sound in which most men first lose their hearing happens to be the same range of frequencies in which most women's voices fall.

How are yours?

The recommendation is to view/listen in 1080p and use earphones.

EHHHH :: Can ya speak up sonny????

Surprisingly after decades of exposure to loud race engines , high speed turbines, sirens and heavy equipment, I still have a pretty good range of hearing. I do have some loss at very high frequencies, but for my age not too bad.

My wife calls me selectively deaf.

Selective deafness?

​Children allegedly suffer from "Selective Hearing", which prevents them from hearing mom screaming at them from 10 feet away, but then lets them hear the ice cream truck's bells from over a half mile away.

​Seriously, sound at over 110 decibels is painful. While doing the daily equipment check, which includes confirming the lightbar and siren work, I was standing on the "running boards" looking at the lights, when my partner blasted the siren, my ears less than 6 foot from the speakers. The pain caused me to fall off the ambulance (circa 1980-1985, before the speakers got moved to the bumper or grille).

My high registers are pretty much gone, have been recommended to get hearing aids. I also have horrendous tinnitus as well.

One ear cannot hear anything softer than about level 12 on the TV and if I cover my good ear when I'm talking in bed with my wife(YES WE DO TALK) I cannot hear her at all.

If I find out my insurance pays for hearing aids, I'm getting them. The ones I tried out, reduced the tinnitus but about 50%. BIG DIFFERENCE.

I could hear to about 17k, 18k was intermittent. Pretty interesting!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN

Good news everyone, I just found out that my health insurance has NO Limit on the amount they pay for hearing aids as long as I go through a university listed audiologist or EENT physician. So off I go to see if I can get this ringing in my ears and my hearing loss mitigated.

My wife actually made the appointment.