EMT equipment

Scottj92

Hey all didn't really know where else to put this so if I am in the wrong place if the mods can please move it :)

Ok so for my EMT class I need to wear dark navy blue EMT pants (part of our class uniform) so I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for a decent priced yet still good quality pair? I've checked amazon and a few other places but they tend to kind of have the same stuff but not sure of the brands. So I figured I'd ask the men and women who are in the field and use them now.

All so I need to get a pocket mask so any info on the ones that are on amazon? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be top of the line but I at least want to make sure it's not gonna fall apart on me lol.

Scott.

• Like 1

I'm surprised they didn't give you one.

Our class actually had 2 extra sessions added to it. It was healthcare provider CPR. We were all given pocket masks to keep.

That being said, you can get them at any medical supply store

Hey all didn't really know where else to put this so if I am in the wrong place if the mods can please move it :)

Ok so for my EMT class I need to wear dark navy blue EMT pants (part of our class uniform) so I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for a decent priced yet still good quality pair? I've checked amazon and a few other places but they tend to kind of have the same stuff but not sure of the brands. So I figured I'd ask the men and women who are in the field and use them now.

All so I need to get a pocket mask so any info on the ones that are on amazon? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be top of the line but I at least want to make sure it's not gonna fall apart on me lol.

Scott.

I'd definitely spend the extra $ and get these EMS pants http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Pants/EMS-Pants/Taclite-EMS-Pant.html. They're unbelievably comfortable in my opinion and worth the $.

Edited by CodeBru1984

@Codebre1984 ok thanks! I was looking at those and figured they'd be the way to go (can't go wrong with 5.11)

@MariB Oh that makes sense.. Our class is just EMT we had a Pre-Req which as our EMR class that taught us all the healthcare CPR and first aid. We still weren't given any masks though LOL

• Like 1

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest not dropping a lot of money on things you'll need for class until you know that you like the job after class is over. Even then, when you get a job as an EMT, and you're not making as much as you think you might otherwise make, making wise choices about how you spend your money on work stuff can benefit you in the long run.

Yes. The 5.11 pants are nice. Are they really $65 nice for EMT school? As a student? If the program is mandating a certain style of pants then they should also have a recommendation regarding their purchase.

Yeah. I know. Nobody wants to listen to the old guy. And yes, I get it. It's new and cool and there's all sorts of toys and gear and whacker items one can purchase to make you look the part. I'll tell you what, though, a decent employer will provide all the uniform parts you need including pants. In my years in EMS every employer I've had has provided pants and shirts. I've received an allowance for footwear. I've not had to buy any uniform parts.

Pace yourself here. You don't even know if you're going to like EMS yet. If you do decide you like it it's not going to pay as much as you think it will. That lower than expected income will be even more depleted when you set out to buy all the cool toys and gear.

• Like 1

@paramedicmike Thank you for your honest opinion I definitely didn't think about it like that. You are definitely right it is new to me and the only EMS experience I have to go on so far is what I've heard from others and the ride along I did with my local FD. I am planning on becoming a volunteer to my local FD soon and I will all so have to do a working ride along with my local ambulance company and do a working shift at my local hospital so I will hopefully find out soon enough if I enjoy EMS (crossing my fingers because I love everything else about it so far). I definitely agree there are TONS of awesome toys and gear out there for EMS. I definitely think I may be getting caught in the shock and awe of things. So again I thank you for slowing my thought process down and making me think about my future purchases for this.

• Like 1

Check out your local Goodwill store. My wife found several of almost new EMS style cargo pants from propper for $5.00 per pair one day.

She took them in for a couple of the students in the EMT class she was teaching.

Think smarter and as Mike said above, don't go spending a lot until your sure this is what you will be doing.

You know what I wear on call to bed?

Scrub pants :) . No spendier than jammy pants. Have pockets and I don't get frowned on if I show up in pink frog flannels (not allowed)

About 15 bucks a pair . I wear a t shirt with EMT on the back and our logo on the front and throw my vest or parka on and go.

Can you get away with plain blue cargos or blue scrub bottoms?

3 AM cardiac call one time:: One of my crew dogs gets out of the back of the ambulance & comes walking into the PT's kitchen . We were we were assessing the PT & All of a sudden the Pt starts laughing hysterically:::

My Basic in his haste to get to the ambulance forgot he was wearing his flannel Sponge Bob Jammie bottoms. :turned: