EMT equipment

Scottj92

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest not dropping a lot of money on things you'll need for class until you know that you like the job after class is over. Even then, when you get a job as an EMT, and you're not making as much as you think you might otherwise make, making wise choices about how you spend your money on work stuff can benefit you in the long run.

Yes. The 5.11 pants are nice. Are they really $65 nice for EMT school? As a student? If the program is mandating a certain style of pants then they should also have a recommendation regarding their purchase.

Yeah. I know. Nobody wants to listen to the old guy. And yes, I get it. It's new and cool and there's all sorts of toys and gear and whacker items one can purchase to make you look the part. I'll tell you what, though, a decent employer will provide all the uniform parts you need including pants. In my years in EMS every employer I've had has provided pants and shirts. I've received an allowance for footwear. I've not had to buy any uniform parts.

Pace yourself here. You don't even know if you're going to like EMS yet. If you do decide you like it it's not going to pay as much as you think it will. That lower than expected income will be even more depleted when you set out to buy all the cool toys and gear.

But with this being said you do get what you paid for. I bought a pair of el-cheap-o EMS pants for $20 and they didn't last very long, not even long enough to make it through my EMT-B class. But you should consider not spending too much money on school supplies. If you plan on going into a paramedic program or even EMT-advanced then spend the extra money for good pants because you are going to need them. My 5.11 are awesome, and that is my thoughts on that! :)

But with this being said you do get what you paid for. I bought a pair of el-cheap-o EMS pants for $20 and they didn't last very long, not even long enough to make it through my EMT-B class. But you should consider not spending too much money on school supplies. If you plan on going into a paramedic program or even EMT-advanced then spend the extra money for good pants because you are going to need them. My 5.11 are awesome, and that is my thoughts on that! :)

Perhaps. But even if you needed two pair of pants to get through EMT school at $20 a piece you're still $25 ahead of where you'd be if you bought the 5.11 pants. And that would be enough to get you through to whatever EMT job you got and the uniform parts they'd supply (or allowance depending on your service).

That's why the overall message from my post was to be smart with your money. Yes, there is some truth to the idea that you get what you pay for. But there's also a lot to be said for some basic financial sense as that'll last you a lot longer than the pants will.

• Like 1

You know what I wear on call to bed...?

You will respond to my bed? You work at my most favorite EMS company ever!!

"It's been this way for over four hours...and it's painful to drive...I just might need me an ambulance!"

I've had dreams where I took my pants off to sleep and ran out the door, to realize on scene I'm in my underwear

Now, you know what's most hilarious, is that I posted my last post before I read this one...It just gets funnier and funnier... :-)

MariB, there seems to be something about EMS pants that puts you in a randy mood...

/> You will respond to my bed? You work at my most favorite EMS company ever!!

"It's been this way for over four hours...and it's painful to drive...I just might need me an ambulance!"

Now, you know what's most hilarious, is that I posted my last post before I read this one...It just gets funnier and funnier... :-)MariB, there seems to be something about EMS pants that puts you in a randy mood...

unfortunately , it doesn't take much to put me in a randy mood ;) lol

Perhaps. But even if you needed two pair of pants to get through EMT school at $20 a piece you're still $25 ahead of where you'd be if you bought the 5.11 pants. And that would be enough to get you through to whatever EMT job you got and the uniform parts they'd supply (or allowance depending on your service).

That's why the overall message from my post was to be smart with your money. Yes, there is some truth to the idea that you get what you pay for. But there's also a lot to be said for some basic financial sense as that'll last you a lot longer than the pants will.

You make me smile! You sound a lot like my dad! Just thought I would add that. :):rofl:

• Like 1