Exposure ?

EMS4Life11

Because it feels better? LOL

So I'm curious EMS4Life11, why don't you wear gloves on every call?

It's an honest question.

I also don't fully expect that you're going to post here again simply because so many people on what sounds like multiple EMS discussion forums have told you you were wrong.

Just to play a little devil's advocate here, I do not wear gloves on every pt contact. It would be impractical to do so. HOWEVER, in any case where there is a real possibility of fluid contact, I do wear them. Before anyone asks, my exposure was not due to not wearing gloves when I should have been.

When I'm working in the ER I don't wear gloves for every patient contact, either. When I was working EMS, though, I didn't get out of the ambulance or make a patient contact without gloves on. You just never know what you're walking in to and it's better to be prepared than fumble around trying to put them on when you're surprised by what you find.

ok, true Doc, I also did not wear gloves on every call but that was before one of the two friends told me about his exposure and subsequent HEP C diagnosis from just possibly exactly the scenario that EMS4Life posted.

I changed my practice after that. It did take a personal friend to acquire a disease in order for me to change my ways. Soon after I developed contact dermatitis which caused my skin to split . NOt a latex allergy but just due to washing my hands and using all the chemicals that we use for disinfecting and just good handwashing. Yes there is an unintended consequence to cleaning your hands too much. ha ha

I now am completely anal about glove usage.

But when I worked in the ER like Mike, I sometimes didn't wear gloves (even after my friend got sick) because if I'm discharging a patient or just going in to talk to a patient then I didn't wear gloves.

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

I use gloves on every 911 call no matter what. However on transfers I may take them off depending on the situation. Closed skin fracture, heart pt etc with no nausea, I will take them off.

I will wear them the whole transfer if there is bleeding or vomiting etc. Then I will disinfect my pens, clipboard etc, anything the pt even touched.

Is it bad that I read that as, "I will disinfect my penis"?

Dang doc, just what kind of stuff do you get into up there in Michigan, i know that we've had discussions of the Priscilla's up there but Jeesh

And don't forget Ebola too

We have had our share of scary diseases or symptoms that are just too close to not be a believer in universal precautions. If you live in an area with a busy international airport, you have to be suspicious sometimes.

Someone mentioned carrying gloves in their pocket. Do not do this. Your clothes rubbing against the gloves along with body heat can make these gloves worthless and you might even be aware of it. Consider it like a defective condom which you discover after the fact. Also, every time you reach to your pocket for a clean set, you risk contaminating your pocket. This seemed to be a learned thing passed on from one person to another as a neat shortcut until a whole ambulance service was carrying gloves in their pockets. Some EMTs did end up with nasty infections to their eyes and skin. A staph infection is also nothing to laugh at.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.