Unrealistic Expectations

Narcissistic and psychopathic providers are apparently ideal ems providers. I thought compassion was one of the actual traits of an EMT provider in the book.

I'm wondering why they have debriefing , mental health etc available if this is not supposed to be happening

The day that disturbing calls do not bother you is the day you should get out of EMS; but with that being said, please keep this in mind:

1. We do not cause the pain or ailment, we respond and do our best for each patient, and often, that will not be enough. It's not fair, it's not right, but it is reality. We see, smell, and remember things that no one should, but who would do it if we didn't. You will never find me running into a burning building for any reason, but I am grateful that there are people who do. You have to do what works for you in these situations, whether that be CISD, talking to whomever, but at the end of the day, we do need you back in the saddle. There are a finite number of people who can do this job, and even a much smaller number that can do it well. Should you choose to leave and take on a job that is less stessfull, who will fill that vaccuum? Yes there are plenty of rookies in the pipeline, but which of them could jump on the truck tomorrow and be as good as you are after 8 years?

2. For every one of these "bad" calls, remember the many good calls where "you" touched a life, even if you did not save it. I imagine there are several folks walking this earth today solely because you were there in their moment of need.

3. The following is probably the dumbest/corniest advice you will ever recieve, but it is applicable in many ways:

http://www.naute.com/stories/worrytree.phtml

Edited by mikeymedic1984
  • Like 3

The day that disturbing calls do not bother you is the day you should get out of EMS; but with that being said, please keep this in mind:

1. We do not cause the pain or ailment, we respond and do our best for each patient, and often, that will not be enough. It's not fair, it's not right, but it is reality. We see, smell, and remember things that no one should, but who would do it if we didn't. You will never find me running into a burning building for any reason, but I am grateful that there are people who do. You have to do what works for you in these situations, whether that be CISD, talking to whomever, but at the end of the day, we do need you back in the saddle. There are a finite number of people who can do this job, and even a much smaller number that can do it well. Should you choose to leave and take on a job that is less stessfull, who will fill that vaccuum? Yes there are plenty of rookies in the pipeline, but which of them could jump on the truck tomorrow and be as good as you are after 8 years?

2. For every one of these "bad" calls, remember the many good calls where "you" touched a life, even if you did not save it. I imagine there are several folks walking this earth today solely because you were there in their moment of need.

3. The following is probably the dumbest/corniest advice you will ever recieve, but it is applicable in many ways:

http://www.naute.com/stories/worrytree.phtml

This is one of the most well thought out and well written posts I've seen on this thread.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I don't necessarily equate emotional inexperience and immaturity with stupidity or trolling. I was thinking the same thing until his last response. I can tell you, from someone that grew up cowboy redneck, that emotional maturity isn't something that you choose, but learn. I remember yelling at one of my early girlfriends because she "tried to win every argument by crying!" It truly never occurred to me that she was really upset at those times, I just couldn't see it. I mean, in a world of redneck fighting, screwing, drinking and working, crying, obviously, was something to be scorned for it's display of personal weakness. Now I cry at the end of nearly every Undercover Boss. (God damn it...)

One of the best nurses I'd ever worked with in the ER SOBBED at every death. Beautiful, professional, wickedly smart...yet when all was said and done she'd find a private corner and bawl...she'd get done, feel better, and go back to work. It seemed to be a really healthy way for her to cope.

I do wonder at this point Girl if talking to friends, coworkers or even those here is what's best given that you are still so effected (affected?) after so much time has passed. It may be time to consider sitting down with a professional.

And to our not yet fully developed Brother, if you need more ammunition to justify cutting up my man card, not only do I cry every time I leave my family for the airport, most times that I consider my son's future, a few times over things that I've seen, and even done in EMS, but I've also several times in my young life sought professional help to re-calibrate my emotional compass. Despite all of that pitifulness you'll still be hard pressed to find anyone willing to say that I'm too big of a pussy to work in EMS. (Sorry ladies...it makes the point...no offense intended)

Holy shit Girl..we're only human. It's not being human that get's us all screwed up, but trying to pretend that we're more than that that puts us off into the ditch.

Get healthy...Ok?

Actually, I don't necessarily equate emotional inexperience and immaturity with stupidity or trolling. ... Now I cry at the end of nearly every Undercover Boss. (God damn it...)

I'm still teary-eyed after the death, both in real life, and finally responding in the show (reel life), of a "soap opera" actress/character (Jeannie Cooper as Catherine Chancellor, "The Young and the Restless", CBS TV network)

Edited by Richard B the EMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.