FDNY EMS transporting Dead People ?

Saw in a movie, FDNY EMT taking a dead woman from a scene. Like, totally dead.

Is that realistic ?

Some people say, FDNY EMT do sometimes take away the dead, in certain situations...

when is it the job of EMTs to do so ? and when is it not the job of the EMTs to do so?

and does it happen often ?

Is that realistic ?

Some people say, FDNY EMT do sometimes take away the dead, in certain situations...

when is it the job of EMTs to do so ? and when is it not the job of the EMTs to do so?

and does it happen often ?

What do you think? and see the plethora of other threads currently on this topic.

Policy used to be a dead person was transported if in public view, not transported if in, say, a private residence outside of any public view. I am uncertain if the policy remains as such.

Remember one "transport" going directly to the Queens County, NYC NY, morgue. Deceased female allegedly asked someone in walkup apartment building stairwell to lower the volume on the boom box, the denial of request being a fatal GSW. Another crew "pronounced", and went available status, When the CSIs released the scene, my unit was assigned. My partner and I used the "Scoop" to get her off the stairs, and onto the stretcher, which had a body bag pre-positioned by us on it.

Policy had it so, transport of a DOA was the only call where the tech riding "shotgun" didn't have to ride in the back with the "patient", but my partner on that call, a strange person who openly stated he was using FDNY EMS as a stepping stone to being a fire fighter (also claimed to be a Fire Chief's son), decided to ride in the back. While he was within his rights to do so, everyone at my station used it as yet another reason to dislike the guy.

What do you think? and see the plethora of other threads currently on this topic.

I'm sorry, but I tried searching for posts on this subject, I didn't happen to find any. I used keywords "FDNY transport dead" and similar other searches... If you would be so kind, could you please show me the link to a couple of those threads ? Im sure it would be good reading.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richard B: thanks for the story.

Edited by miscusi

Just mentioning this person as a sloppy EMT. Delayed on scene (live patients, here), we're supposed to take another set of vitals every set number of minutes. As senior tech (unofficial title, just I'd already been an EMT longer than he's been breathing) on my ambulance, requested, then ordered him to run and document a new set, and he outright refused me.
Another time, outside an ER, caught him deliberately trying to harass an EDP patient (no NYPD with the crew) into swinging on him. I ran and got hospital security to step in.

Still have no idea how he made Fire Fighter. MUST have been legacy of being in a department family, Least he won't be handling patients.

• 2 months later...

Sometimes private EMS companies will transport dead/sick prisoners, but you rarely see that in state EMS. . .

Is that realistic ?

Only if someone slammed their hand on the back doors after they were closed to signal the ambulance driver that he was good to go, then they drove away with lights and sirens.

• Like 1

Since there is a lack of threads to search on this topic, i'll add that here in Canada there are circumstances where EMS may assist in transport of a short duration. I'll give a few examples of when I have done it:

Pt codes in the ambulance and is pronounced in the unit.

Funeral attendant/Coroner is going to be delayed

Particularly 'messy' patient

We would never deplete a community of it's only ambulance for something like this, but usually the funeral home comes with a minivan and 1 person to recover the body. Fire could be called to assist, but most are volley services in the rural setting, so we will step up and help out as long as the transport is short.

For the record: I know New York is not in Canada ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.