To work a code or not

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not working those with rigor etc.

However, working in a ghetto ass area I have loaded the body into the ambo with some hollywood CPR (that stops when out of sight)to escape a potentially violent situation. The hospital understands we have to transport to their morgue because of safety concerns.

About the old timer: My instructor ( now retired, shes way old ) did say to do CPR on babies no matter how dead, for the parents sake. and I think that makes sense, nothing much worse than losing your own child, very very sad indeed.

Not much worse than losing a child. But psychologists have shown us that one thing that is worse, not just today, but in the long term, is losing them twice in one day.

I'd do a whole weekend at Bernie's if I had too

Oh man, that cracked me up...

Doing CPR for show is irresponsible and disrespectful. Do you give Oxygen just for show? Do you give medication just for show? No matter what your cert level, the public expects us to act like competent medical professionals. Doing CPR for show is not showing competancy or professionalism.

Use your clinical knowledge, the patient is beyond help. Explain this to the family and prepare to assist the family / bystanders. They are your patients as well. While traumatic for family, in the long run it will be less traumatic than doing CPR for show.

• 1 month later...

in 10 years of working EMS, I find it comes down to how you handle the situation. Not to sound like a cold hearted bastard, but i see no advantage to a compassion code. Old or young… if there are the signs that it is an obvious death, the best thing to do is to make the situation as it is. You have a dead body, and you have new patients to take care of… the Family. Remember the Phases of Death you learned in your EMT class, or should have, you will have to adjust to that to the surviving family. I usually call my dispatch to have a social worker be sent to the location to help the family deal as well.

I have worked with many partners who believe a compassion code will make their job easier just to get it done with and not have to deal with a grieving family. A compassion code, in my opinion would be the worst thing to do. In most cases, the family realizes that there is nothing more we can do as Providers, but still have the phases to go through; and yes, that means they will go through a phase of anger… "Why wont you do anything! Do something…"

To better enable you to deal with these situations, enroll in a class/Seminar that covers dealing with surviving family members of the deceased. If you talk to a social worker, they can probably put you in contact with someone they feel may be knowledgable in the sociology and psychology of such matters.

Whats not to like about upstate? But i do have to ask what your definition of upstate is too… Too many people consider Albany Upstate… and that just isnt so….

And I hope that fish wasnt out of the Hudson...

Whats not to like about upstate? But i do have to ask what your definition of upstate is too… Too many people consider Albany Upstate… and that just isnt so….

And I hope that fish wasnt out of the Hudson...

Anything north of the Bronx is upstate. I love upstate, it's where my family is from and I spent many vacations up there. And that fish was caught off the shore of Plum Island.

Well without giving specifics, you could just about say im from canada….OH CA-NA-DA! pfffft I love the fact that I get to work in some beautiful wilderness areas… currently working with another EMT on having Wilderness EMT Protocols authorized by a regional Medical Director… snow gets a little old after the 3rd week

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.