Hi all. New and need some advice.

Are all of you mad? EMS is the best job I could imagine, well it's definitely up there... Don't tell me you think differently. Yes, occasionally you may want to run away, but then again working in accounting would want to make me run away - every day ;)

Seth, give it a try, if you fuck up... You're still young, you'll find something else. Never regret what you did, regret what you didn't do (can't remember who said that).

Excuse my French B)

Essentially, that's what it comes down to.

Fab, that's not what it essentially comes down to. Are you sure you have read all the replies?

And EMS is not the best job in the world, at least not in my opinion. But I'm glad you are such a devotee and have completely drank the Kool Aid. That's what EMS does to you, gives you the Kool Aid and then after a given number of years, different for every person, you realize, this job really does suck but it's what I do.

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

What does it come down to then? Mental disorders are only then a problem when they start affecting your ability to 'function' in everyday life. Functioning as a paramedic is a part of that. In what ways do you think OCD could affect that ability? If it affects Seth's coping mechanisms, that can be dealt with before it affects patient care. On the other hand if he is not going to be able to make appropriate decicions on a run due to OCD, that is going to harm his patients. And that's exactly what mustn't happen (and probably won't, from what I understand). Would you mind revealing your point of view?

Would you mind clarifying what you mean by 'Kool Aid'.

Kraft Kool Aid Country Time Drink

Is that what you mean? I've got to admit, there was never a necessity of going back to powdered drinks. Maybe it's time to move on, not just from powdered drinks.

What does it come down to then? Mental disorders are only then a problem when they start affecting your ability to 'function' in everyday life. Functioning as a paramedic is a part of that. In what ways do you think OCD could affect that ability? If it affects Seth's coping mechanisms, that can be dealt with before it affects patient care. On the other hand if he is not going to be able to make appropriate decicions on a run due to OCD, that is going to harm his patients. And that's exactly what mustn't happen (and probably won't, from what I understand). Would you mind revealing your point of view?

Would you mind clarifying what you mean by 'Kool Aid'.

Kraft Kool Aid Country Time Drink

Is that what you mean? I've got to admit, there was never a necessity of going back to powdered drinks. Maybe it's time to move on, not just from powdered drinks.

I know you probably don't know what I'm referring to but whenever anyone is so enamored or awestruck with something they are said to have drank the Kool Aid. I was just making light of how much you say you love EMS(right now). I was not trying to disparage you in any way, so please don't think I was.

People who are devotee's of something or are so in love with a particular public figure or process are also said to have drank the kool aid.

I know this reference it wikipedia but it fits - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

Don't take any of the JOnestown or Jim Jones part of the discussion to mean that I was comparing them to you.

I guess I forgot that you were not from the US thus you wouldn't have known the reference. Again, no offense intended.

I was more concerned about the cumulative stress and how it will affect my mental health.

I'm getting things under control as we speak.

excellent to hear.

I was more concerned about the cumulative stress and how it will affect my mental health.

I'm getting things under control as we speak.

Good job Seth. Hopefully once you do that you do find a place in this field. And if / once you do remember he are all here for you to ask questions, discuss stress and burnout, and anything else you want to bounce off us.

As for cumulative stress. It affects us all differently so it can be kind of hard to say how any one individual will be and to what extent. What we can say is that it happens to us all and depending on coping mechanisms put in place to help and or prevent critical chronic buildup happens sooner then later. Before you start find something that makes you forget everything (please don't self medicate with ETOH or illicit pharmacuticals) and clears your mind and body. For me that would be scuba diving. Once I am in the water everything seems to melt away to an almost zen like state, everything from EMS all the way down to "did I put the laundry in?". I come out of the water feeling so relaxed and care free. Something like that will help you too (not saying scuba diving but anything that you can emerse yourself in).

Keep up the good work Seth.

Edited by uglyEMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.