Feeling down and wondering if I will ever get back on the truck

CheekyEMT

Feeling very discouraged and wish this over and done. :-( hubby and I are argueing and if I could drive right now I'd be on the road. :-(

Don't you remember reading a quote that says "The journey of a thousand miles, begins with but one step" or something along that line. Well welcome to your first step.

• Like 1

No... No you cannot

Be careful recommending dosages there Maryb

The dose of ibuprophen is 10mg/kg q6hrs.

I was less worried about the single dose and more worried about the duration. Taking any NSAID at these doses for extended periods (some will argue more than 3 days) puts patients at risk of internal bleeding.

Sorry mobey but my reference material indicates 400-800mg 3-4 times daily (not to exceed 3200mg/day) ibuprofen for adults. I use an electronic version of Davis drug guide for physicians.

The dosing you have is PO dosing for infants and children.

Ya I definatly typed the peds dose as I rushed through the last part of my post while making lamb ribs in a dutch oven on my BBQ, thank you all for pointing that out.

Sorry mobey but my reference material indicates 400-800mg 3-4 times daily (not to exceed 3200mg/day) ibuprofen for adults. I use an electronic version of Davis drug guide for physicians.

The dosing you have is PO dosing for infants and children.

Helps to read the whole post and not just jump in at the end...

You've already had all the standard "hang in there" and "you can do it" type answers so I won't waste your time with another one of those. The truth is you have had a potentially career ending injury/re-construction. By all means power on and fight to get back to work, but please continue to recognize that may not be a possibility.

With 13 years on the ambulance that doesn't mean you need to retire from healthcare. It means you might have to seek another avenue. Top suggestions include, transitioning to your services clinical education department, becoming a college instructor, and becoming a PA (Physicians Assistant).

Ontario is one of the first provinces to run a civillian PA program and the majority of people selected thus far have come from ACP and RN backgrounds. If this becomes the end of your "on ambulance" career it could also become an opportunity for you to become a true clinical leader in EMS.

http://www.facmed.utoronto.ca/programs/healthscience/PAEducation.htm

Hi Cheeky,

First of all, welcome to the city. Good people live here.

So let me back things up here a minute…you stated, “laying around with my leg elevated, watching tv, browsing the net, chatting on my blackberry and popping pain pills.” OK, so…..WHAT’S THE PROBLEM?

I’m kidding, I don’t like watching tv or chatting on blackberries. You’re getting good advice here Cheeky. After just one session with Dwayne and the gang, you’re already seeing the positive instead of the negative.

All I have to say is A. You have to focus on practicing the art of positive thinking. Pity pot thinking is a waste of your time and energy. B. Do what your surgeon & PT sadists tell you to do. Don’t screw up your surgeons work or he’ll put you in a body cast. C. Don’t look too far ahead; your job right now is to give your ankle the best environment for healing.

Being a patient sucks, it suuuuucks, but it’s also an opportunity (see how I did that…went from sucks-ass to opportunity…negative to positive…neg…pos…cool huh?) Anyway it’s an op to see, I don’t know, how creative and well trained your husband is…wait a minute…standby...I just went back and read your last post and I guess he did pretty good…ok then…nice work detective!

I recently had an intramedullary bone tumor taken out of my left femur, it was a doozey! Because of it, I can’t do the job that I loved doing…which was surgery. Did I lie around in bed and cry all day? You bet I did! Was I a cranky bitch? You don’t know the half of it! But I whooped out a can of positive thinking and reinvented myself…now I’m a…now I’m…..ah…it doesn’t matter, we’re talking about you, not me.

Hey I got an hour shrink session coming up with Dwayne, you wanna take it? He’s pretty good! I don’t cry nearly as much as I used to.

Just remember what Albert Einstein said,

"Hidden within every problem lies an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem."

That’s right…Albert’s Mom didn’t raise no fool.

Chin up Cheeky! You’re getting better every day!

Just remember what Albert Einstein said,

"Hidden within every problem lies an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem."

Yeah just think of the atom bomb, we had a little problem with Japan and Al invented or helped to invent the atom bomb. that was an opportunity that literally dwarfed the problem.

Kudos to Al

• Like 1

Captain,

Anything you wanna talk about? It sounds like you have some unresolved issues with Al Einstein. How about I give Dwayne a call and we just sit down and talk about anything you want. And if Albert Einstein and the atom bomb comes up, we can talk about that too. Whatever you feel comfortable with, OK?