Feeling down and wondering if I will ever get back on the truck

CheekyEMT

When you have a major operation like that, you are not yourself. A lot of my family has had operations and they feel like never doing anything again. Give yourself time to HEAL. Pick up a hobby, do something you have always wanted to do and never had time for. The time will come when you'll be healed and you can make the decision to go back or not.

I wish you luck and I grant you a free art request! Just tell me what you want drawn and I will draw it for you! I'm pretty good so choose anything you like!

I hope you get back on your feet again soon.

Hey Cheeky,

Really, gotta figure out what kind of EDS you have... a lot of people do great with it. Hang in there! Always a bit of a shocker to discover you've got something you never knew you had (but boy, once the pieces start to fall into place, some of your past experiences can start to make sense once you know..)

Chin up! Let us know how it all goes.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN

Thanks folks. Scuba, I'll be in touch. Thanks for the chat offer. I was hoping some of you may give me your opinion on this pic of my ankle. This is what it looks like right now. Notice the large red area? What are your thoughts? The large red area has just recently surfaced so is concerning to me. I apologize for the blurry pic but I had to crop it quite a bit to get it small enough to upload.

Thanks Caduceus...I may just take you up on that :-)

post-20931-0-35981800-1383524148_thumb.j

Thanks folks. Scuba, I'll be in touch. Thanks for the chat offer. I was hoping some of you may give me your opinion on this pic of my ankle. This is what it looks like right now. Notice the large red area? What are your thoughts? The large red area has just recently surfaced so is concerning to me. I apologize for the blurry pic but I had to crop it quite a bit to get it small enough to upload.

Thanks Caduceus...I may just take you up on that :-)

Have you alerted your surgeon about this new development? This might be a complication post surgery. You have enough problems already that you are dealing with, get this checked out pronto.

I have placed 3 calls to my surgeons office and as of tonight have not received a return call. I'm assuming it will be Thurs before I hear back as that is the only day he is in his office during the week. I had hoped his secretary would have called me back with a referral to the orthopedic clinic though. He is in clinic every Tues but I can not see him without a referral. So looks like I have to wait it out until at least Thurs and hope I hear from his office by then. Yep, it's concerning

The other option to mitigate SOME of the upper gi risks associated w NSAID use is to take a proton pump inhibitor. E.g. losec/prilosec. OTC in the us, rx in canada. Go to a doc though before you start ppi therapy for this indication. This obviously does not eliminate the risk entirely and safe use of NSAID's involves several factors.

• 1 month later...

It's not looking like I will be back on truck anytime soon. :( I saw my surgeon last week and it's looking like another surgery on my ankle. I am going tomorrow for my 2nd cortisone shot, he wants to see if that helps before we decide to go ahead with the 2nd surgery. I will go back in 4 wks for another follow up and discuss whether or not to go ahead with surgery. If we decide that it's needed I will be having surgery in Jan.

My other ankle unfortunately needs to be done as well. I will be holding off on that one as long as possible.

Merry Christmas to me :(

It's not looking like I will be back on truck anytime soon. :( I saw my surgeon last week and it's looking like another surgery on my ankle. I am going tomorrow for my 2nd cortisone shot, he wants to see if that helps before we decide to go ahead with the 2nd surgery. I will go back in 4 wks for another follow up and discuss whether or not to go ahead with surgery. If we decide that it's needed I will be having surgery in Jan.

My other ankle unfortunately needs to be done as well. I will be holding off on that one as long as possible.

Merry Christmas to me :(

I strongly suggest you see another surgeon that has done multiple surgeries on EDS patients if you indeed do have EDS ( I think you were waiting on confirmation from a genetic doc last I heard). Hold off on surgery as long as possible and find a good PT that will strengthen your ankle. My cousin with EDS has crap ankles that you can literally cock like a shock gun they're so loose and she's held off on the surgery because of poor outcomes. I know several EDS friends who have had to have ankle fusions, like my shoulders, because of several failed surgeries.