Feeling down and wondering if I will ever get back on the truck

CheekyEMT

The 911 call system here..in the city we live in is centrally located at the police station. If caller requires ambulance then dispatcher transfers the call to ambulance...same if you require fire. If police are required then dispatcher will take caller info and dipatch appropriately. I have never worked in dispatch but it is something that has always appealed to me and been of interest to me. I believe I would be good at it. I work well under pressure and can make quick,appropriate decisions based on the circumstances.

I think what others are suggesting is that there isn't often much room for ambulance dispatchers in Ontario to actually make decisions when it comes to how calls are prioritized. Certainly there can be some decision making when it comes to overall vehicle movement (although even this will likely be based on a written deployment strategy), but this isn't the case in terms of how the information is obtained from the caller and how the call is prioritized.

Patient care is my forte...no doubt about that. I would prefer to remain in a position where I continue to provide hands on care....that's what I was meant to do and where I belong. But if my ankle prevents me from returning to that I "think" dispatch is something I would enjoy and be good at. However, I have flirted with the idea of becoming a PA as well. I still have a lot of thinking to do before any final decision is made. Until my surgeon tells me I will NOT be able to return to work I fully intend to get back on truck.

As much as I admire your determination to get back out there, it would seem prudent to consider where your career is going to take you. Even without considering this injury, ask yourself whether you will be working on an ambulance at 64. If not, you need an exit strategy (we all do!). Now seems like as good a time as any to start thinking seriously about what that is, even if you don't need to use it for another 20 years. Having an exit strategy for future use shouldn't impact on your determination to get back out there now. Best of luck with your recovery! I hope that your employer has been supportive through this.
  • Like 1

And if you are going to be off for maybe a year, why not start getting your requirements for a nursing degree or a PA degree????? It cannot hurt and it will only help you in your quest to be the very very best provider you can be.

I'm honestly struggling with what to do. I have plenty of idea's and lots of thoughts but can't seem to get myself beyond getting back on truck. I'm sure that my thought process will change once I see my surgeon again on Tues and get some better direction from him. I'm not ready to leave the streets...:-(

I;ve been in situation myself as of late not knowing whether or not I am going too step foot on truck again due to medical issues. I definitely understand what you are saying,and am hoping to hell I get cleared back to work myself.

I am reasonably sure that it's a question that, forced medically or not, everyone in this profession faces at some point or other.All we can do to answer that question is take the time to reason it out, and not force the issue. If we go back before medically cleared, are we a help or a danger to the patient? Same question if someone is completely burned out and they are not sure if they want to do this job anymore. This job is a passion for most, and time away from our passion drives us nuts.

All that being said, if you are not medically cleared, as much as it might hurt, at least having a fall back which you can feel good about is a good thing.

I guess what I'm saying is this, everyone ponders the how long we can do this profession. Some people answer the question themselves, and others have it answered for them. Until you find out what your answer is, take it one day at a time, and let things happen as they do. It's what I'm doing.

Hope this helps

Thrutheashes

Well, I think tomorrow will be a big day. 11 wks post op . I see my surgeon at 11am....hoping for good news and for him to say " you go girl"..lol However, time will tell exactly how this is going to play out.

Fingers crossed.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a couple wks since I've posted. In the midst of set back and will find out on Tues if I'm going back to the OR. Sigh!. Dr thinks there is an issue with the hardware/screws. Having an MRI in the morning and will see my surgeon tues morning to determine what the next step will be. :-(.

Well, it's been a couple wks since I've posted. In the midst of set back and will find out on Tues if I'm going back to the OR. Sigh!. Dr thinks there is an issue with the hardware/screws. Having an MRI in the morning and will see my surgeon tues morning to determine what the next step will be. :-(.

Well holy hell batman. that is not the news we wanted to hear.

• 1 month later...

Well, my absent ass is back. Still struggling with my ankle and have been dealt a pretty shitty card. I'm expecting this latest news is offically going to take me off truck for good...:-(

Have been told I have something called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome...some forms of it are fatal. The form I have wont be determined until a collagen biopsy is done and the genetic mutation is identified..

yep, a huge shocker to say the least. My history of "loose joints" , hypermobile joints and GI issues raised some questions and the conclusion is Ehlers- Danlos Syndrome

The hyper mobile joints are only one of my issues. Never thought at my age I'd be facing a potentially fatal genetic disease.

Ok to cry now?

I was diagnosed with EDS at 19... PM me if you want.

And FYI... They aren't 100% on the genetic marker, they only have the test to r/I the vascular type. Please go to the eds alliance website and do some research before you psych yourself up about eds. Most forms are very manageable and more people have it than you would think. Most of my family has it. It sucks and I remember that feeling of oh crap, and I have a pretty severe case of classical/hypermobile, but I can do nursing and ems just fine with some adaptations.