Feeling down and wondering if I will ever get back on the truck

CheekyEMT

Clearly I found a great group of people here. You've all given me some great advice . I'm going to invest in some hand and ankle weights and seriously considering getting a stationary bike. I'm sure I could manage some time on a bike despite bing in a cast. I am going to do as was suggested and set some goals for myself....short term goals for now. I'd hate set any long term goals for myself so early into my recovery phase because I don't want to be let down or disappointed if I am unable to reach the long term goals.

Now that we've found a way for me to get in the pool I plan to take full advantage of that and enjoy a daily swim or 2. Good exercise (totally NWB), some Vit D and a spirit booster.

Thanks to all of you I'm feeling better about my situation already. Think I'm finally accepting it for what it is. As my hubby said to me last night...."your finished your sentence (3wks on bed rest) and now you're on parole ( in a cast and on crutches with serveral limitations)...if you're good and follow the conditions of your parole you will be set free, you will get your freedom back" Only a cop could give you an analogy like that...lol. But he is so right. So for now I am on parole and must abid by the condtions placed upon me and before I know I will be back on my feet, back to work and back to normal.

• Like 1

I really know the feeling of not knowing if you will ever get back on the truck. I fractured L1 in 2 places and herniated L5-S1 last year. I was out for 3 months initially, then went back, but shouldn't have as I was in extreme pain. Then I had surgery and was out again. My surgeon told me the same thing, to rethink my career. I'm rethinking it, but my pain has subsided despite an occasional flare up.

My advice is, don't be discouraged yet. Give yourself time to heal before you really start thinking about giving it up.

I really know the feeling of not knowing if you will ever get back on the truck. I fractured L1 in 2 places and herniated L5-S1 last year. I was out for 3 months initially, then went back, but shouldn't have as I was in extreme pain. Then I had surgery and was out again. My surgeon told me the same thing, to rethink my career. I'm rethinking it, but my pain has subsided despite an occasional flare up.

My advice is, don't be discouraged yet. Give yourself time to heal before you really start thinking about giving it up.

Hearing your story is encouraging. I won't be making any decisions until I get through this initial recovery phase and several wks of physio. Only then will I be in a position to better evaluate my ability to return to work.

What a great weekend I had. My new found freedom in the pool has been such a huge mood booster. We had friends over yesterday for a swim and a bbq then we spent the afternoon today with just the kids in the pool and lounging by the pool.....I would love to be able to spend longer periods of time in the pool but am concerned about my circulation being cut off when I have the cast protector on.

Yesterday after about 45 min's in the pool I got out and when we took the cover off my toes were white...so clearly it affects blood flow. Today I kept my pool time to about 15 min's then got out and took off.

AND, not only did I get to enjoy the pool for the first time this summer I managed to walk down our long driveway to the mailbox and back. Driveway is 30 ft wide and 140 ft long...I was tired when I made it back up the driveway but I did it. I had hoped to be able to do that by the end of this week. Pure determination ...or as my hubby says...I'm just stubborn. I get an idea in my head and I just have to do it.

So having set that goal to walk to end of the driveway and back (cast and crutches) and having successfully fulfilled that goal, it is now time to set a new goal .

Happy mommy, happy baby!

• Like 2

Pure determination ...or as my hubby says...I'm just stubborn. I get an idea in my head and I just have to do it.

I'm determined, he's stubborn. I shed tears of joy, she's emotional. I have game plans, he's bossy.

All in perspective, right, folks?

Totally off pain med's now...aside from the odd tylenol I'm finally med free>>>:-) Last night I was able to stand long enough to help my hubby make dinner, first time since my surgery that I've been able to do that.

Getting more mobile and more active every day.

• Like 1

All morning at the hospital cast clinic. Cast cut off and new one put on. Have been having a lot of pain of the incision on the lateral side of my ankle and was concerned about infection. No infection but incision is still bleeding. :-( I go go back on Aug 6 and am back to NWB until then to try and prevent incision from opening back up. :-( hubby picked picked the cast color this time...its neon green now. Lol. He says its a bright/cheery color. My 3 year old says ' I really like your cast,wish I could put do my pawn print on it'. Sooo cute.

So we'll see what surgeon says on the 6th but I'm sure this is gonna set me back a wk or 2. :-( cast tech said surgeon will likely keep my in fiberglass for an additional 2wks beyond the 6th because of the delay in healing for that incision.

Ugh. Damn blackberry types words twice sometimes. Sorry for the typo's.