Accelerated/Cheap EMT-Basic in Colorado

Well you get what you pay for...........quick and cheap normally is.......

Its like "you are what you eat"

So im fast cheap and easy :D

The original thread reminds me of the JG Wentworth 877 Cash Now song

It's JG Wentworth, 877 EMT Class now, It's your emt class, call now and get your emt class quick and easy. I just see those fat opera singers from that commercial on this thread.

But I digress, I don't think the OP liked our responses so I don't expect him to return.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I do not believe quick, cheap, and patch should go together in a sentence and for sure not followed by paramedic, Just my opinion and hopefully I will not have the pleasure of working with you. Good luck in your endeavor's.

Fastest you'll find in CO is any of the community colleges, one semester. Cheap? It'll run you $1k-$1700k depending on which community college you do it at. I'm curious- what paramedic program are you starting that requires EMT, but does not require a year of field time? Most programs in CO lean towards that 1 year requirement.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN

Some community colleges offer EMT-B during the summer semester. Not cheaper, but definitely less time then a regular semester. Mine was around 2 months long, we met 4-5 times a week for ~3 hours (I could be really off on the numbers though, it was a while ago). It was worth 9 regular semester credits through the college.

I am puzzled by some believing you have to go to an expensive class in order for it to be good. More expensive does not always mean better. I would not consider hiring a CNA who paid almost $2000 for a 200 hour course anymore or less than I would someone who paid $200 for the same course someplace else. In fact, I would probably give more credit to the CNA who shopped around for one which left money for some college credits later. An RN who went to a state university and paid $40,000 for a BSN has the same career opportunities and earning potential as the one who paid $120,000 at a private college. If one accelerated the process by taking more credits in the first two years or even started while in high school, so much the better if they can handle the load.

EMT is also an entry level course. I remember telling people that they could get involved in EMS by volunteering for the local ambulance and have their EMT training for free. They took the same test as someone who paid $2000 for it in the city. I have also seen the EMT course offered in high school along with their other studies. The total hours were the same.

I don't believe we should discourage people from entry level jobs by making them so expensive they can not afford it or will be too much in debt to advance later. I also believe someone can start college to work towards a degree in something and not be forbidden from doing so. Nursing does not discourage a new CNA from applying to college to work on the prerequisites to the RN program. A new CNA can also apply to the program if they have all the prerequisites. I know most Paramedic programs don't have prerequisites but that does not mean you should limit yourself by not taking college classes. A lot could happen in a year to change your mind.

Accelerated is also relative to the person. I will use the CNA again although much of it is learned in a clinical situation with only about 60 hours in the classroom. If someone can do 40 hours of clinicals per week and get through the class faster than someone doing only 8 hours, I really don't see anything wrong with that. I don't believe you should be restricted to the 3 hour classes twice a week if you can do more. Full time college students go many more hours than that. The average nursing student may put 40 hours per week in the classroom or clinical setting along with that many more expected outside of the classroom. I don't believe the EMT (or CNA) course even comes close to the expectations of nursing or other health professions when it comes to academics or clinicals.

I think the quality of program sometimes has nothing to do with cost... and the caliber of provider that comes out has a lot to do with that person, not necessarily with the type of class they take...

That being said, most folks looking for the "fastest, cheapest, easiest" option aren't necessarily setting themselves up for success unless there's some background experience or drive that would facilitate them doing well.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN

• Like 1