Would you honor this as as DNR?

post-2966-0-37580900-1372983881_thumb.jp

Just for conversation sake would you honor this as a DNR? Why or Why Not. shoot that should have been in the topic line as a DNR not as as

Edited by itku2er

Seems pretty clear to me what their wishes are!

Whether it meets the legal requirements of an individual state may be something different.

Me ::: I would not do extraordinary measures on him/her.

It would definitely have me doing CPR and bvm with o2 to save his organs, that would cover me until we got to the ED, he wants his organs donated. . If I needed to put in a more advanced airway I would contact my MD.

This has me thinking. What are the logistics involved here? Most of the organ donation circumstances with which I'm aware have involved people placed on life support in advance of being declared brain dead so as to preserve organ function until consent for harvest can take place. This guy doesn't want artificial life support.

If he died prehospitally would any organs be harvestable? Would consent for harvest be realistically obtained quickly enough to obtain anything useful?

If he made it to the hospital alive, should he have the paperwork to back up the tat, he couldn't be put on life support to ensure harvest.

The more I think about this the more it seems that the subject of the photo just wasted a lot of money on some ink.

Thinking is not always a bad thing. When I became an organ donor I was under impression I could not be a DNR. I was just curious to see the different out look different people had on this subject. If I was still in EMS honestly I would code the person because you are going into a situtation blind. Yes he has a DNR tattoo but who is to say he wanted it carried out. People resend their DNR all the time. It is easy to tear up a piece of paper but a whole different thing to cover up a tatt. It is better to err on the side of caution than find yourself in a lawsuit. One greedy family member is all it to takes to make it a big headache for someone.

Actually he has a living will addressing 'life support' only, there is no mention of resuscitation or prehospital care at all.. I can't see where you would be any less obligated to do a full code here than with anyone else?

Actually he has a living will addressing 'life support' only, there is no mention of resuscitation or prehospital care at all.. I can't see where you would be any less obligated to do a full code here than with anyone else?

Me- full prehospital treatment

Actually he has a living will addressing 'life support' only, there is no mention of resuscitation or prehospital care at all.. I can't see where you would be any less obligated to do a full code here than with anyone else? Actually he has a living will addressing 'life support' only, there is no mention of resuscitation or prehospital care at all.. I can't see where you would be any less obligated to do a full code here than with anyone else?

Me- full prehospital treatment

I was only addressing injuries incompatible with life lol

In Iowa state, as weird as it sounds, a DNR prhospital only applies to a terminal illness involved with the DNR. Has to be signed by the patient and the doc. Without papers in hand we have to go for it.

In the hospital itself is different.

This isn't a DNR but more like an advanced directive or living will. His wishes are made clear, injuries incompatible with life would get a bvm and chest compressions to preserve what I can.

.and yes, some organs can be harvested up to several hours after death. In Iowa, protocol makes us call the donor network upon death.

Being an organ donor doesn't always mean you have to be kept a live. There are plenty of organ and tissue donors who are DNR's. Eyes, skin, ligaments/tendons can be donated post-mortem. It's called Donation After Death.

As for that guy, medical control would have to be involved as to what to do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.