Wiring two light heads to my POV?

Yes, this forum is for pre-hospital medicine and anything else a member wants to talk about. If a member wants advice on how to wire his POV because that is how his particular department operates, I see no issue with it.

Yes, this forum is for pre-hospital medicine and anything else a member wants to talk about. If a member wants advice on how to wire his POV because that is how his particular department operates, I see no issue with it.

Sorry boss. I was just trying to help him understand why he is getting the response he is getting and that it is not an opinion isolated to this website.

• Like 1

I make it a point not to wire anything in to anywhere. Everything on my vehicle can be quickly removed, including its wiring. The radio is on a power port, the siren is on a power port and the light bar is too; and it was meant to be hardwired. If I'm traveling, I don't want to be identified as an EMS provider; so I strip it all off. Not saying that I wouldn't stop if nobody else was at a crash. Besides, here, and in the whole state, what you're setting up would be 100% w/o a doubt illegal. Dash lights, alone are illegal; must be visible 360*; and not include headlight or grill flashers. So, the only reasonable alternative would be to get a dash light with a magnet, and remember to pull it off the roof before you open your door. Happens. The key is, intersection and turn visibility, not just in front of and behind of. You need to be seen, if you're stopped along the road; and that also includes wearing an ANSI Compliant vest, in addition to a "hey, don't ram me" light. I wouldn't recommend decking your vehicle out w/ tons of lights. If you were my responder, and I do manage volunteers from a supervisory point of view, I wouldn't let you use grill or dash lights, no matter how much it cost. They're for safety, not speed or looking cool.

I had headlight flashers, 4 cars back.

FYI, considering the number of crushed cop cars, ambulances and yes, even fire engine and ladder companies I've seen, and even been in (2), lights and sirens do not keep you out of accidents. Proper training of emergency vehicle operators, with civilian awareness of other vehicles on the road does.

Addendum: I was parked alongside my VAC's ambulance, my hood up, with my POV warning lights engaged, while attempting to jump the ambulance's batteries with cables connected to mine, while sitting in my wagon. Some jerk came out of the public parking lot, and rammed my Olds wagon in the rear, then jumped out of his car and tried to yell at me for cutting him off.

This MoFo shut up, when he found himself surrounded by others from my VAC, 2 foot-beat NYPD cops, and 10 firefighters from FDNY Engine Company 268 and Ladder Company 137, across the street, who witnessed the incident. I was immobilized, and transported to the local hospital, where I was released a few hours later. The MoFo was one day away from his insurance being cancelled for not paying for the renewal.

I would suggest taking it to a professional installer. Vehicles today are very complicated, and it is not as easy to wire-up anything like you could when I was I kid without causing a shortage or a "draw" on your electical system. No matter where you live, I am sure there is a shop that does this service for local public safety agencies.

And again, I call SHAME on the EMTCITY NATION for being so judgemental. There is no reason to denegrate another poster because you THINK you are superior to them. If you have nothing nice to say, then go to another post. In your eyes he/she may be a "siren queer", but if he/she is the closest responder to your grandma's house when she is in trouble, then they could be every bit of a hero as you think you are.

In the future, when you have the choice between being "right or superior" with your comments, or being "nice", choose to be nice first.

Edited by mikeymedic1984

I'm going to go out on a limb here and take a wild ass guess that you are in NJ.

Home of the first aid squad nation and whacker central.

Crappy protocols , petty squabbling and million $$ squad buildings with bars in the back room.

The last time I had to go to NJ to pick up our new ambulance at the PL custom Factory , we stayed at a Hilton inn not too far away. while we were sitting there having our morning coffee & breakfast there was a parade of vehicle that came screaming by with more lights than our new ambulance.

The best one of them was a rusty clapped out toyota supra with four different color doors and fender panels from the junk yard on it from the 80's that had a light bar on the roof, headlight flashers, tail and turn signal strobes and a rear window set of LED's.

The value of the car was way less than the cost of all the whacker lights bolted onto it.

Our salesman explained that it belonged to an asst chief of the local first aid squad and he was a proud EMT-B with the local service well known for trying to have the most lights in town.

Pretty crappy care doesn't matter if you have lots of lights on your junker.

being from NJ doesn't mean we deliver crappy care. Ill have you know this past year we had 10 CPR calls, and 10 CPR saves. Plus, we have the longest EMT training in the country that I know of. True, a lot of people around here don't give a hoot about care, but you don't know what I can do. To let you know, all the doctors in my area hospitals know me and have personally told me that they are relieved to see when im on the crew bringing a patient in, because they know that Im good at what I do. This opinion by the doctors extends to the majority of members on my squad. Im on one of the best rescue/EMS squads in the state, we win awards for our skills. Pretty crappy eh?

Similar to winning awards for being the navigator and lookouts on the titanic. :-}

By CPR calls I'm guessing you mean cardiorespiratory arrests? Or were they having chest pain and got CPR?