Paid vs Volley or Volley vs Patient?

ERDoc

Careful, triemal04. You're bordering close to insulting a big bunch of folks.

I've been a volunteer ambulance corps member, in 5 proprietary inter-facility transfer services, and 25 years in municipal 9-1-1 EMS, for a total, so far, of 39 years. For all that time, I have been a real EMT, no matter whose uniform I was wearing, or ambulance I was riding or driving.

Some here have been in service shorter times than I have, and a few a longer time. It's safe to say all serve in one of the type EMS agencies, some in several, and some even at the same time.

If I see the NY State EMT patch on someone's shirt or jacket, I know they had to go through the same training as I did. If from another state, I accept that, basically, they took the same training, with some differing nuances from the area they normally cover.

The only EMTs that are NOT "Real" are those who either faked their training and documentation, or got duped by phony training personnel or training centers, and, unfortunately, that could happen to ANY vollie, proprietary, or municipal EMS wannabees before employment, or trying to maintain their employment.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

I'm not trying to be insulting, but trying to point out that in some places just because a volunteer is responding to a call doesn't mean that they are actually an EMT who knows what to do, and that, responding in a POV is not the same as in an ambulance (if that's a service provided by that group.)

The previous poster said her group has a 2 minute responce time...and 3 EMT's. I'd like to know a little but more about that. I think that she should (if I'm right and I could very well be wrong) think about that a little bit more; it's part of the reason why volunteer services are often looked down on.

But...what does that mean? Part of the problem with volunteer systems is the "standards" they hold to are often low, and not based on real things.

Does that mean 2 minutes to reach the location of the call? two minutes from page to get to station and to have left the station and be enroute to the call. if the call is in town, 1 minute to get there.

Is that an actual EMT that is enroute, or just a volunteer?

Part of the problem right there...

PLEASE tell me you accidentally wrote that??? Actual EMT?!?!? So just because I never took a paycheck as a paramedic does that mean I was just a pretend medic? That I saved pretend lives???

PLEASE tell me you accidentally wrote that??? Actual EMT?!?!? So just because I never took a paycheck as a paramedic does that mean I was just a pretend medic? That I saved pretend lives???

...and so what I didn't want to happen, has started.

just because a volunteer is responding to a call doesn't mean that they are actually an EMT

No mate, i get, pitty some didnt'. He means a volunteer who is, say the driver but doesn't hold an EMT certification, but still volunteers.

In the mood I'm in, I'm surprised my head didn't pop off when I read that.

Well perhaps you should get into a better mood and actually read all of what was written before you start throwing a tantrum, m'kay?

Bushy was completely correct; would have figured between the 2 posts that was abundantly clear, but hey, if you want to freak out, go for it. Just keep in mind you are losing it over something I didn't say, or mean.

Lauri- That's impressive. Nicely done.

. I'd like to know a little but more about that. I think that she should (if I'm right and I could very well be wrong) think about that a little bit more; it's part of the reason why volunteer services are often looked down on.

explain.

Our pager goes off... within 2 minutes our rig is rolling to a call. ( our average scene time is also right at 10 minutes) What do I need to think about? We are down to three EMTs, with five going to school in the fall. we do not have any first responders, Fire only comes if we call for lift assistance.

Triemal04, that our protocols do not allow the rig to roll without an EMT. And the majority of our calls we all respond to, we don't all ride, but we are there for scene assist.

I guess what bothers me, in the whole paid vs volly fight, and has for years, and I said that also in my first post, Volunteers have the same level of training that someone on a paid service has. We are all professionals. No, we don't have the same call volume, but I know that on my service and the ALS service that we call for assist has volunteer members who take their service seriously, and work to maintain and advance their skills even with a limited number of runs. Would I be full time if I could, absolutely. Would I go to school to get my P if I could, you bet, but I'm not in a position to do either. SO, I and the rest of my team, work as hard as we can to offer the best care possible in the prehospital environment.

I really wish I had been able to read the original blog. Then I might not have gotten this thread so off track. :icecream:

Edited by Lauri
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.