Hospital finds cause of Type 1 diabetes

cscboulder11

This is fantastic. It'll be interesting to see what treatment avenues they pursue... the problem with diabetes (I or II) is that folks don't know they have it until they're really, really sick sometimes...

I wonder if the damage is reversible, or if it's permanent? And if they've found the pathway, I wonder if they can do routine testing for it and give pre-emptive therapy?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN

... the problem with diabetes (I or II) is that folks don't know they have it until they're really, really sick sometimes...

I've treated some who had it show just that way, stating they felt drunk without having had an alcoholic beverage for a week. First time it happened, the EMT in charge of my team was, himself, a diabetic.

Yeah Richard, we had a medic who I was training. She went to sleep and we got a call. We waited for her to come out of the sleeping room and she didn't. We went in to get her and found her unconscious. Had to call another ambulance to our original call while I worked frantically to get her blood sugar up from unreadable to 40. She was diagnosed with Diabetes and it was so brittle she had to quit working and claim disability.

She had no idea she was diabetic, she said that she felt drowsy all the time but never put it together that she was diabetic even with cuts that didn't heal up right away.

Good thing that ambulance call came in or we would not have found her till it was too late.

I'm a diabetic and the way I found out was I stepped on a lego and cut my foot. It took months for the cut to heal. My wife asked me why I was limping and I told her I had cut my foot 2 months earlier and it still hadn't healed. She called a endocrinologist office and got me a appointment that day. My A1C was 15. I now can say with Metformin, Lantus, and Victoza every day along with not eating a lot of sugary stuff, my A1c is down to 6.5

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll
  • Like 1

Oops, I was misinterpreted. The "Crew Chief" EMT already knew he was diabetic, the patient we were treating was the one felt drunk. The call was in perhaps 1974.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who immediately though that old guy from Liberty Medical is out of a job?!? LOL. Action Jackson