Hey everyone,

I have to apologize for not coming around more often but I have been a little distracted with school and stuff.

I am going to travel by air and I am wondering if anyone knows if I can travel with a AED in my carry on bag. I really would hate to put it in my checked luggage. I couple of times things have been stolen from my checked luggage and I would really hate to loose my AED.

I called the airline and they really are not sure if I can travel with it either in checked baggage or otherwise mainly because they didn't know what it is. I don't know why I would bother with them when my expert EMTCITY buddies are sure to know the answer.

I really do miss you guys, I guess this just gives me a good excuse to start a thread!

I have to ask... why are you traveling with an AED?

Doesn't everyone?

Just kidding. I am going to a medical caravan in a remote third world area and am not sure what kind of equipment will be available on the ground. I thought it would be of better use there than just sitting around the house.

I think the airlines have a problem with the batteries so I am not going to risk trying to travel with it until I am sure. Third world security can be kinda hectic when the guards are not familiar with the equipment.

Edited by DFIB

I would check with the receiving facility. They will probably know how to handle incoming medical equipment the best. Also, in case you haven't, you should check with the facility/organization that you will be donating this AED to first to make sure they are allowed to accept personal donations of used equipment. Not that this gesture isn't 100% admirable, a lot of organizations have rules that direct what types of equipment donations they can accept. I'm sure others on here can provide some more advice on this.

I would check with the receiving facility. They will probably know how to handle incoming medical equipment the best. Also, in case you haven't, you should check with the facility/organization that you will be donating this AED to first to make sure they are allowed to accept personal donations of used equipment. Not that this gesture isn't 100% admirable, a lot of organizations have rules that direct what types of equipment donations they can accept. I'm sure others on here can provide some more advice on this.

Well, for starters, there is no facility so to speak. We are going to kinda be out in the jungle. Well, not exactly jungle but most definitely coastal semi-tropics.

The gesture is not as admirable as you would think because I had not intended on giving it to them but simply keeping it on standby. I wish I had one to give away but then I would have to jump my patients with battery cables or some crazy thing like that :punk:

Chuckle, reminds me of when I went to be medical staff at the 2010 Olympics. We had to go to the event in 2009 to orientate and work out policies and procedures and were told to bring our own kits, so I brought mine. The night before I went thru the kit and put all the scissors, clamps, window punch, anything that might be considered a sharp object into my checked baggage. However, I forgot all about a 1 litre bag of NS, the Tylenol Cold medicine I had just purchased because I felt a cold coming on. A couple of chemical cold and heat packs, oral glucose, and a few other little tidbits.

I get to security and get the question "Any sharp objects or liquids?" Of course, my answer is "Nope" because I conscientiously cleaned out the pokey things. Bag goes thru the X-ray and security guy tells the other security guy to check it out. He opens the bag and I have my forehead slap moment when I realise that I have Liquids in there. Security guy asks me what it's all about so I tell him the truth. I'm medical staff for the bobsled and skelton event at the Olympics and blah blah blah.

Security guy looks at it, says, "Well, everything is sealed up, so I'll let it go." and send me on my way.

Regarding your dilemma, take it in your carry on, just make sure that it's shut off during takeoff and landing :) Seriously, They have Defibs on the plan already, yours won't pose an issue and the battery is actually supposed to be in your carry on anyways, they don't want it in the cargo hold where it could start an unnoticed fire. You'll notice it pretty quick in your carry on. Just make sure it's not in the device. You may have to turn it on for security though, to prove that it works.

I know what you mean Artickat.

I was traveling across the border from Mexico a few years back and had my jump bag with me. A single guy in a car will almost always get directed to secondary so I was not surprised when they tagged me for inspection. The guy ask if I had any medications. Of course I thought "personal" medication like the snowbirds that cross over to score prescription meds so I answered no. I did not even think of the jumpbag until he opened the back.

When he starts going through my stuff I he pops up with my little sewing kit box full of injectables. You know, the usual, adrenaline, hidrocortizone, dex, glucose, D5W, xilocaine, and some other stuff I cant remember.

The guy takes all the meds into the little room and leaves me standing by the car. They let me sweat for about 20 minutes, and I do mean sweat. I was sure they were going to come back out and throw the cuffs on me. I wish I had the video of me waiting. I bet it was a hoot watching me try to play cool and hold my bowels at the same time.

The guy came back out and ask me if I was a licensed EMT and went back in the little room. The entire time they are holding my passport and I am just about to cry when he comes out and said "Step over here please, we seem to have a problem" That was it. I KNEW I was going to jail. He continued on to tell me that the problem was that the dexamethazone was expired and I could not bring it into the US.

WHEW!

Those security checkpoints and border crossings can be very, very, spooky.

Well, for starters, there is no facility so to speak. We are going to kinda be out in the jungle. Well, not exactly jungle but most definitely coastal semi-tropics.

The gesture is not as admirable as you would think because I had not intended on giving it to them but simply keeping it on standby. I wish I had one to give away but then I would have to jump my patients with battery cables or some crazy thing like that :punk:

Is an AED even needed in the situation that you will be in? (That isn't meant to be rhetorical) I obviously have no idea what you're doing where, but I think that a lot of time the equipment brought overseas for medical volunteering doesn't line up with the local needs. Is there something else that might be more useful given the trouble that you may experience transporting the AED?

Is an AED even needed in the situation that you will be in? (That isn't meant to be rhetorical) I obviously have no idea what you're doing where, but I think that a lot of time the equipment brought overseas for medical volunteering doesn't line up with the local needs. Is there something else that might be more useful given the trouble that you may experience transporting the AED?

It will be a surgical campaign. I will feel better if we have it. I think I am going to take ArticKat's advice and see how it goes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.