A New Hobby

ERDoc

Well right now it's covered with Thunderstorms and a couple of tornadoes. But it's a pretty nice city without the clouds too.

Many companies buy their database maps from Delorme in Freeport Maine.

When we did the E-911 mapping they filed a FOI with the state and got the information from the state.

However the raw data they got was not converted for errors.

When they published it , things like my island were shown 20 miles east of where it actually is. My home was located 2.6 miles out in the ocean.

Corrections were made as many layers of data were gathered. OGIS combined the E-911 data along with ariel mapping and satellite data into a multi-layer composite map.

Updating is very important on a regular basis.

When they published it , things like my island were shown 20 miles east of where it actually is. My home was located 2.6 miles out in the ocean.

Oh so you live in Atlantis huh?

Per what I have heard, some map companies deliberately insert named streets that don't exist into their maps. If they see a competitor showing the same street on their maps, they sue for copyright infringement.
As for GPS units that tell you where the nearest Pizza parlors or steak houses are located, THAT should be updated a lot more often than the roadmaps.

Reporters covering stories for their respective newspapers, radio and TV stations are well known for errors in geography. For example, the "Golden Venture" illegal immigrant freighter was run aground in the Fort Tilden section of Gateway National Recreation Area, alongside the Roxbury section of my Rockaway Peninsula, which is Queens County, New York City, New York State. After I woke up from almost 24 hours on overtime working the Multiple Casualty Incident, none of the radio or TV stations got it right, putting the incident as either Brooklyn (NYC NY), or Nassau County NY.

A reporter for a local TV station, who normally covers Nassau and Suffolk counties reported on the ongoing repairs from Superstorm Sandy, going on in the Belle Harbor section of the Rockaways, again, Queens County. She said Nassau County, but due to where she normally reports from, I'll let her slide this one time.

American Airlines Flight 587, which crashed a mere half mile from my house? The reporters got THAT one correct, Belle Harbor, Queens County, NYC NY.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

Per what I have heard, some map companies deliberately insert named streets that don't exist into their maps. If they see a competitor showing the same street on their maps, they sue for copyright infringement.

As for GPS units that tell you where the nearest Pizza parlors or steak houses are located, THAT should be updated a lot more often than the roadmaps.

Reporters covering stories for their respective newspapers, radio and TV stations are well known for errors in geography. For example, the "Golden Venture" illegal immigrant freighter was run aground in the Fort Tilden section of Gateway National Recreation Area, alongside the Roxbury section of my Rockaway Peninsula, which is Queens County, New York City, New York State. After I woke up from almost 24 hours on overtime working the Multiple Casualty Incident, none of the radio or TV stations got it right, putting the incident as either Brooklyn (NYC NY), or Nassau County NY.

A reporter for a local TV station, who normally covers Nassau and Suffolk counties reported on the ongoing repairs from Superstorm Sandy, going on in the Belle Harbor section of the Rockaways, again, Queens County. She said Nassau County, but due to where she normally reports from, I'll let her slide this one time.

American Airlines Flight 587, which crashed a mere half mile from my house? The reporters got THAT one correct, Belle Harbor, Queens County, NYC NY.

now Richard, when did reporters ever get anything remotely correct? They are almost always incorrect more times than correct.

One time a few years ago, we had a drowning death on the beach. The unfortunate "DFD", or Down For the Day victim made several mistakes, First, when the lifeguards go home at 6 PM, they order everyone out of the water. The "Vic" reentered the water about 6:15. Second, the "Vic" didn't know how to swim. Third, he got caught in a "Rip-Current", and pulled out.

Afterwards, I went onto the boardwalk to see what all the emergency vehicles had responded to, and was confronted by a TV news crew. I was not wearing anything indicating my membership in FDNY EMS Command, my hat was a modified Aussie "Slouch" type, and was outside of the Line Of Duty Injury "house arrest" restrictions for my then most current injury (8 AM to 4 PM, Monday through Friday, as they pay you to be at home recuperating. They'll visit to make sure!). I commented that ocean waters have no respect for the laws of man, and most of the locals know the dangers of our beach.

Imagine my surprise, when, during the news cast at 11, I saw myself on TV, identified as an FDNY "Spokesman"! I immediately called my station, and advised the on duty Lieutenant what had happened, to be reassured that I hadn't done anything wrong. Aside from the misidentification, and my embarrassment, nothing actually happened.

Yup, TV news man got it wrong.

I was featured prominently in street clothes assisting a rollover victim prior to EMS arrival. Was identified as the lead medic on the call. Hell I wasn't even working at that time. Got pulled into court over that call. :)