A New Hobby

ERDoc

So I recently discovered Geocaching. For those not familiar, people have hidden caches of various types everywhere across the world (2million+ of them). They place coordinates or clues on the geocaching.com website and people search for it and log it when they find it. Yeah, it sounds pretty geeky but it is actually quite fun and something the kids can do too. I've found several local ones with the kids but I'd really like to make my way to the ones in Antarctica. Anyone else into geocaching?

Yeah! Me, Babs and Dylan go sometimes...it's harder than it sounds!!

What kind of a GPS do you use? I need to find something that's easier for Dylan, so that he can lead instead of having to follow all the time..

But yeah, it's pretty fun!

Also, there's a ton of them around Colorado Springs Doc, should you ever want to come visiting. You and yours are always welcome. Christopher and his wife just came for a few nights and they got out without a scratch. I'm thinking that the odds are pretty good for you too, should you mind your manners...

You geek. :D Oh, send a friend invite to arctikkat :)

Done.

What kind of a GPS do you use? I need to find something that's easier for Dylan, so that he can lead instead of having to follow all the time..

Also, there's a ton of them around Colorado Springs Doc, should you ever want to come visiting. You and yours are always welcome. Christopher and his wife just came for a few nights and they got out without a scratch. I'm thinking that the odds are pretty good for you too, should you mind your manners...

I used my iPhone and paid the $11 for the app. Some people are really good at hiding them. There is one around here that I think is going to become my nemesis but I will find it. I'd love to find the ones that are in Antarctica. Thanks for the offer Dwayne. If I'm ever out that way and want to torture a local, I will be more than happy to bring my family your way.

• Like 1

I did not know that but I guess I have to add another one to my list of must finds. I agree it is a little weird calling it a Geocache, but did you see the entry? That is pretty cool. I love the guy that took a picture of himself in front of the locker on the simulator and had on of the real astronauts take the picture up to the ISS and take pictures of his picture with the real locker and TB.

I trust my Garmin Nuvi GPS device...to a point. When I activate the "find home", and am sitting in front of my house, it still says I'm at least 50 foot away. When I try finding a store at a mall, it leaves me at the entrance to the parking lot, which, unfortunately, usually is the street address for all the stores in that mall.

While a Superstorm Sandy refugee, I wanted to go to a particular store. My GPS had the store listed, but on arrival, found it wasn't for the general public, but the distribution point to all the store's branches in the region. This, after 45 minutes driving.

I also GeoCache. We are known as Liamruff Been inactive for a while now.

But at our heyday we had several hidden. Found several as well.

have participated in a mass geocache event where there were over 200 cache's hidden. We found 25 of them. There were over 300 teams competing. It covered the entire city of KC MO and was pretty fun.

Now that we are in Baltimore we are going to start up again but we are going to get a new GPS that is for geocaching only. Those seem to work better in my opinion than the nuvi's or tom toms but they all work very well.

The chain Cache's where you go in sequence to find a mother lode are some of my favorites. If you are a first to find the final cache, sometimes theres some really nice SWAG in there, we found a couple of patriot coins in one. Those are prized possessions of my son, unfortunately with the move they seem to have been missplaced and are in a plastic bin we have not gotten into yet.

What's your Geocache handle Bryan?

Use this website to find a gps device for Dylan

http://www.geocaching.com/about/buying.aspx

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

I also GeoCache. We are known as Liamruff Been inactive for a while now.

But at our heyday we had several hidden. Found several as well.

have participated in a mass geocache event where there were over 200 cache's hidden. We found 25 of them. There were over 300 teams competing. It covered the entire city of KC MO and was pretty fun.

Now that we are in Baltimore we are going to start up again but we are going to get a new GPS that is for geocaching only. Those seem to work better in my opinion than the nuvi's or tom toms but they all work very well.

The chain Cache's where you go in sequence to find a mother lode are some of my favorites. If you are a first to find the final cache, sometimes theres some really nice SWAG in there, we found a couple of patriot coins in one. Those are prized possessions of my son, unfortunately with the move they seem to have been missplaced and are in a plastic bin we have not gotten into yet.

What's your Geocache handle Bryan?

Use this website to find a gps device for Dylan

http://www.geocaching.com/about/buying.aspx

I sent you a message because you are not accepting friend requests. I'm going to keep an eye out for one of these mass meets. All of the kids are into it now but man, did we have some trouble finding one today.

Shrug...I just use my smartphone to find a geocache.

Me too but after today I might reconsider.

I trust my Garmin Nuvi GPS device...to a point. When I activate the "find home", and am sitting in front of my house, it still says I'm at least 50 foot away. When I try finding a store at a mall, it leaves me at the entrance to the parking lot, which, unfortunately, usually is the street address for all the stores in that mall.

While a Superstorm Sandy refugee, I wanted to go to a particular store. My GPS had the store listed, but on arrival, found it wasn't for the general public, but the distribution point to all the store's branches in the region. This, after 45 minutes driving.

Maybe it took you to where the store was BEFORE Sandy.