New student in the Charleston, SC area -

Hexaven

Hey folks!

Upon preparing for EMT Basic next month, I stumbled across the forum here and figured it'd be in my best interest to get closer to the community that I'll be submersing myself in very soon. I'm originally from Portland, OR; moved out to the Chucktown SC area about a year ago for my fiance, and holy hell the humidity. Even though I spent a year and a half in NOLA, this is abysmal! lol

Anyways, I think i'll take some time and browse about the site. Thank you much to those involved to provide a killer hub for EMS personnel!

The humidity is insane, right??

Good to have you! Remember...the majority of the benefit that you'll find here comes from having the courage to post, and to comment on the posts of others, so don't be shy.

I look forward to your thoughts!

Edit: When you say 'preparing for your EMT Basic', do you mean preparing to start your education, or to do your testing?

Dwayne

Thanks everyone for the welcome. : )

When you say 'preparing for your EMT Basic', do you mean preparing to start your education, or to do your testing?

My EMT-Basic educational courses, yes. : )

June - October, Mon/Wed/Fri 1800-2200. About 200 hours class time required total, I believe. I got lucky since I don't qualify for residency, and was able to only have to pay half of the course cost up-front outside of a college.

Bryon (Hexaven)

Just for perspective, in South Carolina you need a minimum of 1500 hours worth of training to become a barber.

Think about that for a little bit and let that sink in. Two hundred hours to be an EMT. More than SEVEN times that to cut hair.

This information is not intended to be a downer. Nor is it meant to discourage, dissuade or belittle anyone or their chosen professional pursuits. I'm only trying to emphasize that your 200 hour EMT class is barely the beginning. You will have the potential to do a lot of things as an EMT. Some of those things could affect the life of one person or many people.

As far as I can tell, a bad haircut never killed anybody.

Food for thought.

(Source: http://www.llr.state.sc.us/POL/Barber/index.asp?file=faq.htm)

• Like 1

Excellent perspective and point, Mike: appreciate the input! I've definitely realized with each little step taken that not only is my introduction to the field minuscule in comparison to a future within it, but it's going to take a lot of dedication to explore all options, and commit oneself to pursue that potential you speak of. I'm lucky to have the support of close friends and family with me in this journey, as they also see the drive and incentive I exhibit.

I've always had a strong desire to give back selflessly to those around me, both dear friends and random strangers alike (which I feel may help me tremendously in this field). While I understand that I know next to nothing, and am not afraid to admit it, I'm both thrilled and anxious to step into this world!

• Like 2

As far as I can tell, a bad haircut never killed anybody.

But I do remember I think it cost Bill Clinton about 1600 bucks one time though. Or was that another politician? Which again is about 2 times the cost of the EMT Class you are taking right?
Perspective huh?

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll
  • Like 1

Welcome to the profession Bryon

I think Bubba Clintons 1600 $$ haircut came with tonic and a pressure/ suction procedure applied. :-}

and some lipstick on a dress right? But that's not the one I was thinking, I was thinking of the Air Force one Stop where they had a hairdresser board the plane and cut Bill's hair. But actually it was 400.00 for a haircut for John Edwards. (440.00 is what I paid for my EMT Class in 1990)

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.