Clamps!

If your only clamping the dermis closed over a penetrating wound with this tool then what are you actually accomplishing?

The pt will still be bleeding internally and the clamp is just keeping the awful gory blood from escaping to spill on the street.

Clamping a head lac??? why not just pull the sides together and put pressure on it.

Like the little dutch boy that stuck his pecker in a whole in the dike.Then his finger, then his toe then the dike collapsed on him.

Possibly. I'd like to see significant literature before making up my mind. It very well may work, but I default to the null hypothesis until convinced otherwise. I will be happy to change my mind as the evidence pours in however.

By stopping the bleed with the skin you are creating a sealed cavity in which the pressure will build and allow the bodies clotting cascade to take over.

Maybe for skin lacerations, but I'm not convinced it's going to help much for penetrating wounds as they claim. Thinking of a knife wound or other similar injury. Your just closing the surface vessels off.

Maybe for skin lacerations, but I'm not convinced it's going to help much for penetrating wounds as they claim. Thinking of a knife wound or other similar injury. Your just closing the surface vessels off.

Are you just speaking about large cavities like the pelvis or abd?

I'm not sure I follow.

I'm thinking about any type of deep penetrating injury, thoracic ,abdominal, pelvis,thigh ,bicep. Anywhere one might find penetrating trauma thats more than dermis deep.

For skin lacs and superficial wounds sure I can see it working fairly well. But so does a pressure dressing and kling/coban.

Plugging a hole on the surface of a major bleed will take a long time for pressure to build and clots to form enough to slow the bleeding.

If they're bleeding that badly then it needs more than a clamp on the skin to help staunch the flow.

If it's an extremity then a tourniquet is called for if pressure dressing doesn't work quickly, especially with an arterial bleeder.

I too would like to know the efficacy of this device when used for large, gaping or non-linear wounds and on wounds with a difficult to appreciate source of haemorrhage. It may work well under certain circumstances; however, I question it's general use on a broad range of injuries. I'm skeptical but certainly willing to change my mind.

Multiple iTclamps would probably be used on a patient with a wound like that. Here is the article about the clamp being used on a scalp wound. If a wound somewhere so vascular could be controlled I don't see why using 2 or more clamps wouldn't be beneficial on a non-linear wound.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Trauma+clamp+used+first+patient+will+Edmonton+ambulances+within+weeks/8431423/story.html

I presume it acts kind of like locking hemostats, on something that might need stitches (outside my expertise and scope of practice). I also know that some areas of the body just cannot be "pinched".

I presume it acts kind of like locking hemostats, on something that might need stitches (outside my expertise and scope of practice). I also know that some areas of the body just cannot be "pinched".

Not according to Special K, remember the pinch an inch commercials.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.