Clamps!

So about 6months ago I cut out a article out of the newspaper about this cool new piece of equipment coming out called the iTClamp. Its pretty simple with how it works and I can see it being effective in hemorrage control! Anyways I thought i'd share it with you guys. Has anyone seen this on car yet?? I posted the video below.

Kn.ght1

http://www.innovativetraumacare.com/

the title reminds me of the robot in the show futurama. The bossbots partner. "CLAMPS"

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

Man, it's hard to say really.

It appears that it would work fine on the type of straight lac that they demonstrate on in the pic, but the injuries that I've seen that present life threatening hemorrhage rarely come in such a configuration. I can see this working ok on the 4" inch lacs, but not so much on ragged wounds, larger lacs, gunshot exit wounds, etc.

I also wonder about margin damage from it being applied with too much pressure, as well, it looks like it has several needles on each face, creating a VERY significant sharps issue when misapplied, applied with multiple attempts (after being contaminated), etc.

Ultimately the success or failure of this device will depend on how many military contacts the creators have in their pockets.

Also, it seems, and I might be off in the ditch here, that many of these significant wounds benefit from packing inside of the wound instead of simply on top of it? At least that's been my belief and practice to date. If I can pull the wound margins together, then I do so and dress outside of the skin, if not, then, often, I've packed inside and then applied pressure dressing outside.

I don't see this making a visit to street medicine any time soon..

Thanks Dwayne,

There was a article in our city newspaper that has the iTclamp coming onto our ambulances in the next couple months. Apprently one was used by a rural ambulance and they had great success. When I complete the training I will post more about it!

Kn.ght1

• Like 1

This made it throught FDA approval. Here's the article from MedScape.com

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted 510(k) marketing clearance for the iTClamp hemorrhage control system from iTraumaCare of San Antonio, Texas.

The device is designed to control severe bleeding from a penetrating injury in seconds by sealing closed the edges of a wound to create a temporary pool of blood under pressure, which forms a stable clot that mitigates further blood loss until the wound can be surgically repaired, the company explains.

The device requires only minimal training and is compact, measuring less than 2 by 2 inches and weighing less than 3 ounces. "No comparable product exists in the point-of-injury space, solving an unmet medical need," the company says.

An animated video that demonstrates how the system works is available on YouTube.

"With this regulatory milestone achieved, we look forward to putting the iTClamp in the hands of health care professionals in the United States and improving patient care," iTraumaCare's Chief Executive Officer and founder Dennis Filips, MD, said in a statement.

The iTClamp was licensed for sale in Canada in late 2012 and received its CE Mark for sale in Europe in March 2013. It will be available to medical professionals in the United States within 30 to 45 days, the company said

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

I was speaking with an Edmonton Paramedic yesterday who suspected they were going to see it in the next few weeks.

It has been used prehospitally on a patient with a scalp laceration in Hobbema Alberta by a Paramedic and worked like a charm.

So.... I guess what i'm sayin is Dwayne was wrong :icecream:

Love ya buddy!

I too would like to know the efficacy of this device when used for large, gaping or non-linear wounds and on wounds with a difficult to appreciate source of haemorrhage. It may work well under certain circumstances; however, I question it's general use on a broad range of injuries. I'm skeptical but certainly willing to change my mind.

I doubt this would work well. It looks like it would displace the surface tissue but do a poor job of actually applying pressure to a bleeding vessel. Also looks like a good way to create a Pseudoaneurysm or Retro bleed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.