Moving on

paramedicmike

The discussion on bridge programs, combined with a friendly calling out, prompted this thread. Given the community we've developed here I also felt it was important to say something as I think the frequency of my participation here may change a bit. Have no fear, though. I'm not leaving.

After a number of years in EMS I found myself pretty much tapped out in terms of what career options were available to me. I'd worked on the ground. I'd done critical care. I'd done HEMS. Each move only led to me to wanting to learn and do more. Without moving into administration, something I don't want to do, there weren't many options left available to me. Don't get me wrong. I love EMS. I love being a paramedic. It just reached a point where it wasn't enough.

So what's a guy to do?

He goes to PA school. That's what he does.

The whole time I was working I was taking random classes here and there. They were mostly science and health care classes. The academic work set me up for PA school which was 27 months of pretty intense study. My first year of school was as a full time student while working PT on weekends. (Yeah... I don't recommend that. About three months into the year I got sick and was sick for the next eight months. I finally got better when I quit working.) My clinical year (15 months) was 90 hours a week minimum of clinical, study and research projects. It certainly wasn't easy.

In the end, though, it got me to where I am now. I'm working in an ER as a PA doing a whole lot more than I ever thought I would be doing. It's not just a skill thing. It's being able to assess and treat and refer patients in a way I couldn't do as a paramedic. And, working in the ER of a hospital with a pretty solid EMS system in place, I'll have options available to me to give back to EMS in ways I couldn't before.

So that's where I am. Of course, there's more to the story. But I don't want to drone on and on.

If anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer them.

• Like 3

That's amazing and something to be proud of. I am looking at an A&P class.. and I know after I will crave more and more.

Truly an inspiration and you worked hard for where you are at. Fantastic Mike! You have shown us that it can be done if you want it and work hard. Thank you

Congratulations! I can certainly appreciate the feeling of wanting more and sadly needing to move outside of our profession for that. I would be curious to hear more about your first PA job. I would be particularly curious what acuity of patients are you seeing and how much autonomy do you have, but any thoughts on your transition to the PA workforce would be interesting to hear.

Congratulations man! Job well done, I have no doubt that it had to have been a difficult challenge. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful accomplishment!

You have done well over the past decade since we first " met " Mike.

You have pushed the limits of prehospital care potential.

You have moved into a new subspecialty of emergency medicine through hard work & education.

And you still find time to be with us mere mortals :-}

It's good as you youngsters can take care of us old folks in the future.

Man...I'm so proud of you. Disappointed thought that I didn't make the time to see you when you were near here..I'd just had it in my head that you'd be here for a long time..

Good on you Brother...please don't disappear...