In need of some EMS family advice.

It's a dichotomy for sure. Support for the overall advancement of a profession (big picture) or improving your personal situation. At the end of the day I would never fault somebody for choosing to improve their personal situation particularly if family, children and major life changes are involved. It's easy to preach big picture stuff when you are in a good place. I do it all the time as an educator and it certainly makes me a hypocrite. Also, nursing isn't the holy grail of job opportunities and higher educational standards that many people believe.

I agree with you 100%.

Artickat, you're right about that.

And it will continue to do so unless the group as a whole steps up and takes ownership of your profession...otherwise you'll continue to have TV commercials of nurses working in an ambulance like that one Johnson & Johnson put out.

Chris, we're in a good place now because a few dedicated individuals sacrificed the blood, sweat, and tears for years to get us to the position we're in now rather than take the easy path out.

If the overgrown path were traveled more, it would be easier to take.

Artickat, you're right and we as an industry need to try to advance ourselves. I will say that I do think that the bridge program is appropriate here, in my location, in my personal opinion. I don't see any problem with it as far as competency goes.

Perhaps, but I still cannot fault individuals for improving their personal situation. All the raw raw soap box speeches will not keep your kids fed or make the house and car payments. I agree with advancing the profession and that is one of the reasons I am in education. However, I cannot call somebody out for making honest decisions that could improve their overall life situation. This also goes for nurses who move to other professions such as physician assistant or respiratory therapists who move onto nursing, medicine or physician assistant. I could call all these people out for not supporting their professions, but personal choice and advancement is much more important IMHO.

• Like 2

Let's define this a little better. What are we talking about when we say a bridge program? Are we talking about something that provides credit for classes taken for EMS education and knocking those off of the required coursework for the new pursuit? Something that is shortened based on previous experiences? Or an online program similar to what Excelsior College does?

• Like 1

Kat - Canada is a different cup of tea entirely from the US. The privates and fire that dominate EMS have absolutely NO interest in advancing EMS. Fire fighters are doing it as an adjunct to what they consider their primary goal - fighting fire.

The large privates would replace medics with firefighter medics (paid for by taxpayers) and provide EMTs to drive as long as they can (and do) charge for the transport. A paramedic fighting for advancement of the profession is fought every step of the way.

• Like 1

Let's define this a little better. What are we talking about when we say a bridge program? Are we talking about something that provides credit for classes taken for EMS education and knocking those off of the required coursework for the new pursuit? Something that is shortened based on previous experiences? Or an online program similar to what Excelsior College does?

Around here the bridge program is a year long with online didactic along with clinical hours.

Kat - Canada is a different cup of tea entirely from the US. The privates and fire that dominate EMS have absolutely NO interest in advancing EMS. Fire fighters are doing it as an adjunct to what they consider their primary goal - fighting fire.

The large privates would replace medics with firefighter medics (paid for by taxpayers) and provide EMTs to drive as long as they can (and do) charge for the transport. A paramedic fighting for advancement of the profession is fought every step of the way.

And whose fault is that? Privates here don't make more money because they have paramedics, yet it costs more for an ALS service. We have Fire based services and Government services too. Don't forget, the Canadian EMS system was modeled after the one in the USA. A paramedic fighting for advancement of the profession wouldn't have to fight quite so hard if the other tens of thousands of line paramedics would fight for it too. It wasn't management that decided to improve our situation, it was the front line medics who fought for it as a team.

Keep throwing yourselves under the bus and you'll never be able to shake the stigma that becoming a fire fighter is actually a promotion above that of a paramedic.

• Like 1

And whose fault is that? Privates here don't make more money because they have paramedics, yet it costs more for an ALS service. We have Fire based services and Government services too. Don't forget, the Canadian EMS system was modeled after the one in the USA. A paramedic fighting for advancement of the profession wouldn't have to fight quite so hard if the other tens of thousands of line paramedics would fight for it too. It wasn't management that decided to improve our situation, it was the front line medics who fought for it as a team.

Keep throwing yourselves under the bus and you'll never be able to shake the stigma that becoming a fire fighter is actually a promotion above that of a paramedic.

this.

and the union bashing on this site if incredible. I guess people like min. wage. Fire based, single role paramedicine is the way to go. You have the resources (union) and the respect to get it done. Or any public servant position---be it county etc.

I am not implying i am dis-regarding ems. But when you achieve you RN (and can do so in 10 months through a bridge program), it opens up more opprutunities for an individual. EMS has came so far from what it was, and I'm sure many of you witnessed that first hand. But, Every individual has to choose what is best for them. When you have never had any parental/family support, making 9.63/hour while going to school full time and learning you have a child on the way is a tad bit of a rough road, and one would be expected to pursue higher education to benefit their family. I have and always will love EMS and have respect for all aspects of the profession. My initial question was not drivin towards leaving EMS, rather; gaining further knowledge and certification to be a more competent, well rounded health care provider.

Spelling is probably horrible. Coming back from a call trying to do the multi-task gig

and the union bashing on this site if incredible. I guess people like min. wage. Fire based, single role paramedicine is the way to go. You have the resources (union) and the respect to get it done. Or any public servant position---be it county etc.

Are you kidding? One of the bigger problems EMS has is the IAFF.

• Like 1

The pay and schedules for an RN are much better in the majority of the U,S,

However you will find that an ADN will only go so far in the hospital genre. Many systems are requiring a BSN as an entry level.

The IAff is only interested in saving union jobs , so that the union bosses can keep their multimillion $$$ salaries and multi-million $$$ homes in exclusive neighborhoods hiding behind gated security apes.

How much did your union pay shittburger to be a figurehead last year?

What did you get as a benefit from him buying votes?

You got to keep your job for the time being.

Until the next budget cuts come along

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.