In need of some EMS family advice.

I havent been on here in a while, and just wanted to check in with everybody and see how everbody was doing.

Also, I am researching doing a bridge program after i am in the field as a medic for a year or so. But, i have a little one on the way. Is there anybody out there that has done the medic to rn bridge on an online format? I am going to try my hardest to do in class, but family of course comes first. So for a plan B, I just wanted to gather some information on any online programs that are out there.

I hope everyone is doing well.

-Best regards-

As a former paramedic and now RN (just waiting on boards) I haven't found many positive reviews of programs that go paramedic to RN. I would look at an accelerated BSN program that works for you. I know of at least one program that is aimed at health professionals currently working.

I'm planning on doing the medic to RN bridge through one of the colleges here that does it in an online format. A lot of the medics around here have gone through it, though their opinions of the RN program have been mostly negative. A lot of them work PRN at the hospitals now, and actually the ER's seem to prefer Medic/RN's.

Addendum: Just for clarification, the complaints with the RN program have been more with the RN education in general, not the bridge specifically. Medic/RN's around here don't have a lot of positive things to say about RN school regardless of the format (traditional or bridge).

Edited by Bieber

Can someone please explain why EMS-ers are so interested in "bridge" programs?

Low wages, high stress level, and uncertain or erratic schedules make traditional schooling difficult to commit to as well as to pay for.

• Like 1

It baffles my mind. We had the same issues in Canada, until some very smart people managed to figure out that we can't have people do things for us and expect good outcomes, and started the ball rolling. Rather than jump to another profession, why not start improving the value of yours to the point that it's got good wages, less stress, improved hours, and an education sufficient to meet the needs of the public?

It takes years of hard work and dedication, but we're in a much better spot than we were 15 years ago. I suppose you are the only one to decide how valuable you are, and it's about time that EMS stepped up and took ownership of themselves, or is your job so insignificant that you don't care until you become a nurse.

Edited by Arctickat

It baffles my mind. We had the same issues in Canada, until some very smart people managed to figure out that we can't have people do things for us and expect good outcomes, and started the ball rolling. Rather than jump to another profession, why not start improving the value of yours to the point that it's got good wages, less stress, improved hours, and an education sufficient to meet the needs of the public?

I would like to see that happen as well. At the same time, my perspective isn't the same as others and when you can easily bridge over to RN and make more money with fewer of the problems you experience working EMS, it's a tempting offer that has lured away from us a significant number of competent paramedics.

It's a dichotomy for sure. Support for the overall advancement of a profession (big picture) or improving your personal situation. At the end of the day I would never fault somebody for choosing to improve their personal situation particularly if family, children and major life changes are involved. It's easy to preach big picture stuff when you are in a good place. I do it all the time as an educator and it certainly makes me a hypocrite. Also, nursing isn't the holy grail of job opportunities and higher educational standards that many people believe.

• Like 1

And it will continue to do so unless the group as a whole steps up and takes ownership of your profession...otherwise you'll continue to have TV commercials of nurses working in an ambulance like that one Johnson & Johnson put out.

Chris, we're in a good place now because a few dedicated individuals sacrificed the blood, sweat, and tears for years to get us to the position we're in now rather than take the easy path out.

If the overgrown path were traveled more, it would be easier to take.

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.