Motorcycle Accidents

2 Daughters of a longtime EMS associate of mine just survived with bruises an accident while in a Smart4Two. The vehicle was totaled, but they believe so much in the car, they're using the insurance check to purchase a new one.

Was the squirrel they hit ok? :shifty:

Glad the daughters were not hurt.

Edited by Neup

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that item of 5,000 miles from both "Outlaw" and weekend warrior bikers. It's usually blamed, by the bikers themselves, as taking over that mileage for the biker to acclimate themselves to the new, to them, machine and it's handling characteristics.

I believe it includes dropping the bike at intersections also.

Just checked with the Smart4Two driver, who advises the other vehicle was an Ambulette Van!

had it have been a reguarly sized ambulance the smart4two car would not have fared so well.

I'm a biker too, and I shudder when I see the guy riding in shorts and a t-shirt, even if it is 30+degrees out today. I do have one theory though. As an EMS provider I am well accustomed to driving defensively. We are always hyper vigilant to what other traffic is doing. Regardless if we're driving L/S or with a patient on board, as a group we seem to develop a 6th sense to be able to predict what that car we're looking at is going to do in the next 10 seconds. I think that transitions well to our motorcycle habits. Although I have no facts to back it up, I have a high index of suspicion that emergency responders are likely very low in motorcycle crash statistics.

Agreed. I've been riding for 34 years without putting down (except for a few embarassing incidents at less than walking speed), and put in enough miles to have circled the earth a few times. It's not a matter of if, but when. It was my stepbrother - the closest thing you'll ever meet to Hank Hill - who taught me to ride, so confidence + a healthy dose of paranoia is what's gotten me this far.

Being in a university town, I can't tell you how many 'winners (short for "Darwin Award Candidate") I've seen riding around in flip-flops and and beachwear. I tell them if they're not going to wear a helmet and some abrasion protection, at the very least lose the flip-flops. They're chainbait, for one, and novice riders will put their feet down reflexively and at the most inopportune moments.

I handed the girlfriend of one of these 'winners a ziplock bag, and told her that it was so that she'd have something in which to admire that pretty new pedicure of hers after she collected what was left of her toes from the pavement. Again, not if, but when.

I've heard that item of 5,000 miles from both "Outlaw" and weekend warrior bikers. It's usually blamed, by the bikers themselves, as taking over that mileage for the biker to acclimate themselves to the new, to them, machine and it's handling characteristics.

In my experience, the most dangerous time seems to be between about eighteen months, and three years.

They're just experienced enough to have started dropping their guard, but not experienced enough to actually get away with it.

Of of the riding clubs had a Road Captain who was obsessed with safety protocols to the point where he'd drag everyone through these lengthy pre-ride seminars and lead slowly enough to sandwich everyone between himself and packs of road-ragers. A rookie rider who had retired from a career as a safety officer, he was so preoccupied with enforcing the use of (needless and distracting) hand signals and other rote protocols, he didn't see the pickup truck swerving into his lane.

Thankfully, he's expected to recover fully.

Chalk this up to the "Ain't it cool?" phenomenon.

• 3 weeks later...

nothing in life is without risk.

are you willing to risk ?

I knew the risk, ride a motorcycle anyway. had a total of 3 accidents, the last one totaled my bike, Minor injuries for me, and haven't purchased another one due to lack of $$$.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.