Motorcycle Accidents

how can you make them safer? The loud pipes, while some people think they are annoying are also a safety feature, to be heard.

I understand the theory, but loud pipes do not save lives. They may keep Harley in business, but between the doppler effect and increased sound deadening of newer vehicles, this is a justification for people to have lout bikes, nothing more.

On the other hand, the flashing headlights, accessory lights should be required on all bikes.

To the OP, if you buy a bike, be informed and understand the risks and consequences. I'd far rather have my kids on a motorcycle than a smartcar.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/> I understand the theory, but loud pipes do not save lives. They may keep Harley in business, but between the doppler effect and increased sound deadening of newer vehicles, this is a justification for people to have lout bikes, nothing more.

On the other hand, the flashing headlights, accessory lights should be required on all bikes.To the OP, if you buy a bike, be informed and understand the risks and consequences. I'd far rather have my kids on a motorcycle than a smartcar.

have you see crash tests on smart cars? Safer than a lot of tin cans we drive. I still wouldn't want one.

The theory of louder bikes is to be heard. To a point It can work, but no matter what safety feature is in place, other drivers need to be aware

2 Daughters of a longtime EMS associate of mine just survived with bruises an accident while in a Smart4Two. The vehicle was totaled, but they believe so much in the car, they're using the insurance check to purchase a new one.

Driving in a car offers some semblance of protection with the structure of the vehicle surrounding the occupants. Motorcycle operators don't enjoy that same safety feature.

I see the logic behind the "loud pipes save lives" mantra. It'd be interesting to see the numbers behind it.

Compare the sound of a Harley and a honda motorcycle and you can put the theory of loud pipes to bed. Harleys can be heard with your windows up and honda's cannot.

Compare the sound of a Harley and a honda motorcycle and you can put the theory of loud pipes to bed. Harleys can be heard with your windows up and honda's cannot.

this isn't true lol, my father's Harley sounds like a Honda. Stock pipes on any motorcycle are quiet. A Honda can sound like a Harley and a Honda can sound like a Harley. The pipes need to be upgraded after purchase.

My vote is wait until you are atleast 50 years old, that way if you die or become a vegetable you can argue that you lived your life for a long time. I can't find the stat now, but you are almost guaranteed to be in an accident within your first 5k miles of driving it (could be a minor accident, but an accident nonetheless). There are just too many stupid people driving cars out there, not to mention things in the roadway (debris/trash) that can cause an accident when you are doing everything perfectly right.

this isn't true lol, my father's Harley sounds like a Honda. Stock pipes on any motorcycle are quiet. A Honda can sound like a Harley and a Honda can sound like a Harley. The pipes need to be upgraded after purchase.

OK Mari, let me rephrase that, Loud pipes on a harley versus stock pipes and the theory is good. If you have the loud pipes then I can hear you from half a mile away. If you don't have the loud pipes, then I'm not going to hear you in my car with the AC running, the windows up and the radio on.

I'm pretty sure you knew what I was trying to say though.

I've heard that item of 5,000 miles from both "Outlaw" and weekend warrior bikers. It's usually blamed, by the bikers themselves, as taking over that mileage for the biker to acclimate themselves to the new, to them, machine and it's handling characteristics.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.