Motorcycle Accidents

Hello,

I don't know if I'm in the right section but hopefully I am. Basically, I'm thinking about a getting a motorcycle but I'm afraid at the same time because I know they're dangerous. I thought, what better place to see just how bad then an EMT forum. What is everyone's take on motorcycles? Out of all of the motorcycle accidents that you've seen, how many riders were dead vs seriously injured vs little to no injury? I would appreciate any help!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a reason we call them Organ Donors, or donorcycles.

I used to own and ride a bike, then I worked at a motorsports facility. [ large racetrack ] which ran both auto racing and AMA motorcycle racing on the big road course. Some incredible riders and some incredible injuries and deaths.

On the street , no matter how cautious and safe a rider you are, there are always dozens of other drivers that never see a bike.

You need to weigh the pros with the cons.

You on a 5-700 lb motorcycle vs Mabel q Public in her 5600 lb suburban and she's texting while approaching the intersection you are legally going through and following all the laws.

Whos going to win that battle?

Pros::: freedom and lots of fresh air. bugs hitting you in the throat at speed , birds hitting you in the chest at speed, the dog , turkey or deer that suddenly runs out in your path. the sudden rain storm that gives you a free shower while on your way to work. Easy extrications for the local EMS folks.

I think you get my views.

I still ride but wear a helmet and insist my family does too. Lots of things can kill you but if I die I want to do what I enjoy. Defensive driving, great care is a must

It's funny. I once heard someone say that they don't want to wear a helmet in case they get into an accident. The thinking was that if they crashed at speed without a helmet, they will be dead, end of story. If they crash at speed with a helmet, they may survive but will probably have a bad brain injury and end up in a nursing home, trach, PEG, paralyzed and a burden to the family and the taxpayers. I thought that was an interesting way to look at it.

To the OP, as was said above, there is a reason they are called donorcycles. Even if you survive there are amputations, spinal fractures, horrible road rash requiring admission to the burn unit with skin grafts (seen that many times) and so on.

I guess that's one way of looking at it lol. I will tell you a quick story. My father was in a motorcycle accident last June. He went around a blind turn in the mountains of Colorado and hit some chipped roc k going 35 mph. It was hit a guard rail and superman over a cliff or lay it down.. he laid it down. It took 45 minutes for an ambulance to reach him and luckily a group of bsn nurses were behind him as his friends thought he could ride home. His friend went down the mountain to call 911. He suffered a head injury and a shoulder injury. Luckily his head was OK and was just monitored and a shoulder surgery fixed that. He was not wearing a helmet.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone! Yeah I'm really torn ... I've had my bike license for a year, and I really, really want one, but every time I think about going for it I think about how dangerous it is. I would be careful and wear all of the protective gear but I know that's no guarntee.

I'm only 20 and I don't know if i should get one before I(hopfully) have a family some day, or just do it now because I'm sure wives aren't motorcycle fans. My dad doesn't want me to get one because he's had friends die on them, and his room mate in college was a paramedic and made him promise him that he would never get one. That was in the 70s though, when people were doing acid and wheelies with no helmets.

I don't want to be afraid to live, but I don't want to be stupid either. This is probably one the hardest things I've ever had to decide.

I've seen many with all different kinds of outcomes, just throwing this out there, my brother was on his bike doing 35, he struck the side of an izuzu rodeo, and died 3 days later in trauma icu. so they are lethal at a very low rate of speed. All i can say is if you do purchase a bike, purchase your PPE first. best of luck and safe travels

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.