New Partners

Sorry I have been absent from this thread for so long, but glad for the discussion it has generated.

Believe me, I am fully aware that the problem is me, not my partner; its not his fault that he is new, he can't change that and he does want to learn, but it is my fault that I am impatient. I have many faults, both as a person and a medic, and before was lucky to have understanding partners who helped me "mask" them at work. Thank you all for the various advice.

To answer some questions, I am a new medic (less then a year), and new to the company (just a few months), but was a full time EMT at another agency for 3 years prior, so I'm not brand new to the field.

I agree with what some of you said about it being a partnership, not the medic "in charge." I don't like being "the boss" on the truck, am used to working more in partnership with my partners, but up till this point I was spoilt with really good, experienced partners who I could trust (both as an EMT and as a person), and whom I just clicked well with. I didn't need to worry about simple things like even them knowing how to park the ambulance... I've always (including before I got my medic) disliked the saying "An EMT saves the medic," I think that a good partner saves their partner, regardless of the skill level of either.

My partner and I had it out after our last call, both spoke our minds and pointed out quite bluntly some of the problems that we were having with one another. Hopefully having it out in the open now will help us both to be more mindful and work together better, I suppose only time will tell. I know for my part I am going to be more conscience of how I speak to my partner on calls, and trying to take time before and after calls to explain things.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.