Old uniforms

So I moved this week. New State. New job. Fun stuff.

As I was packing I found a box with a bunch of old uniform parts in it. Shirts and sweatshirts were the primary components. All were embroidered with name and/or service logo. I can't use them anymore as I don't work in any of those services. Most of the services don't even wear the same uniforms anymore. I can't donate them to Goodwill or the like because of the embroidery on them. Well, that and they're uniform pieces. So, short of cutting out the embroidery and using the rest as rags, I was wondering what others do with old uniform pieces.

What have you done with yours?

Short of cutting them up and using them as rags, that is.

I think I asked this before but I couldn't find the thread. Please pardon any redundancy.

what state are yo going to??

Cant help with the old uniforms, though I do have my old dyna med shirts from the 70's tucked away in a box somewhere.

They were just too retro cool to toss out.

Make great Halloween costume items

You could always send them back to where they came from, or just keep them for painting the house or something

There is a small collection of old uniform items from the regional ambulance days held at various stations here so I'd say keep them

At my college we had old clothes that we would use for trauma scenarios to actually be able to cut clothes to expose things (not all of the time, but usually during testing). It may seem like a little thing to worry about practicing, but I think the more realism we can have in scenarios, the better. Maybe there is a similar program near you that you could trust to use to cut them up in scenarios like this?

ParamedicMike: There is always the possibility of selling the old uniforms to some movie studio, especially if the agency you got them from has changed the uniform. Case in point, I have seen numerous TV shows and movies, set in NYC between 1980 and 1996, with actors playing EMS personnel, in correct EMS "Green and Whites".

• 11 months later...

Do you still have these old uniforms? I have a rather large collection of EMS stuff and would love to add them to my collection. Here's a link to my Facebook album of some of my collection. https://www.facebook.com/dan.gilmore.14/media_set?set=a.2200112478907.2127024.1130136238&type=3

Edited by ptfd121

When I got fired from AMR way back when(for standing up for a patient and not for the protocol), they asked me when they could expect their uniforms back. I told them they would be delivered outside to their front door.

I kept my promise, I drove up, rolled down the window, threw em out onto the sidewalk. They actually had gone through my clothes washer with a brand new batch of PINK shirts and underwear courtesy of my wife. Instead of being light blue they were more a light blue with pick accents. The pants had somehow found a bottle of bleach and were the victims of a drive by bleaching and the boots had gone through the cow pasture at my parents farm house.

But I did keep my promise.

• 4 weeks later...

I still have my "turnout" coats, both of the orange ones from the NYC HHC EMS (one being the version with the zipper held in by Velcro), and the blue one first issued by the FDNY after the merger. I'm still using both.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.