Observing/Ride alongs?

Pose

Hello everyone,

I'm about half way through my EMT-Basic class in Massachusetts. I recently found out that not only is there no observation time in the ED or even on an ambulance, we won't even SEE an ambulance throughout our entire class. Needless to say, this is kind of disappointing. I was wondering how ambulance companies in your area view letting students ride around with them for a shift or two? I'd really like to see what the inside of the thing looks like before applying for a job, and I would, more importantly, like to get at least basic contact with patients.

I brought this up in a chat session a few days ago, and most said that they usually don't mind at all letting students, or even non-students shadow. However, I'm interested to see how others view this, or if anyone has additional advice for finding an opportunity.

Thanks,

Pose

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Massachusetts paramedic schools are accredited by the AMA, CoAEMSP, or CAAHEP. Not Rhode Island either. Closest one is in New Hampshire.

Call them up and ask them why they are not. I'd be interested in hearing what excuses they offer.

Sorry to hear about your situation. That is entirely unacceptable and disreputable. It is evidence of the poor state of EMT education today, not just in Mass.

As for your question, since I don't live up there, I can't really offer you any useful insight. All I can say is that most places I have worked have openly welcomed students. If your school is not arranging this time, I would suspect it is because they have a poor or non-existent working relationship with area EMS providers. And again, it is unacceptably shady that they would offer an EMT course without such a relationship.

Call the EMS providers in your area and see if you can arrange something on your own. You won't know until you try. But make sure it is an EMS provider, and not the local transfer jockeys.

Good luck!

What are they expecting you to learn ? no ride time ? no ED time ? WTF ?!?!?!?! It is required to ride as part of the program. I take that back it is required to WORK on your ride time here. if you only shadow on the truck or in the ED you will not pass.. thats how i see it.

The EMS classes here have clinicals scheduled in with the course. 10 ride alongs are required and the student aides in the care of the patient while being observed by certified EMt's and Medics.

Most of our ambulances services are glad to take part in the education of future Ems workers but we did have a few that refused having students for ride-a-longs...

Good heavens, how are you to learn anything if you do not do ride alongs or ER time? Anyone can read and do the book work. But taking care of the actual patient from the start of the call to the delivery to the ER, having a person's life in your hands is a whole other world, and something you cannot learn from a book or lecture.

Our courses here are built in with ride or clinical time that is mandatory and patient contact is mandatory. You have to have so many trauma contacts and so many medical contacts, or you cannot complete the course, take the practical or written test.

Woaaa, I was feeling deprived with only 24 total ED hours and 48 ambulance. I learned more in one 8 hour shift in the ed last week than I have in some weeks of class.