Probably asked before - private EMT kit off duty?

I used to carry nothing for fear that Dust would chew me out if he ever found out I carried a kit.

Then I came across a rolled over PT cruiser, that the driver was ejected out of. He was bleeding heavily from the leg and was deeply uncx with snoring resps and blood in the airway from epistaxis. I had to wait 20min for an ambulance with nothing .....

I am currently building a kit with basic airway devices, BVM, Abd pads & gloves. Oh and suction........;)

I would say go big or stay at home. I live in an urban area, so response time is not an issue. But once you get out of your car to render aid, you are committed. Are you ready to do mouth-to-mouth, do you have proper PPE in case of heavy bleeding or vomit ? If you are gonna stop, be prepared for anything and everything.

I would say go big or stay at home. I live in an urban area, so response time is not an issue. But once you get out of your car to render aid, you are committed. Are you ready to do mouth-to-mouth, do you have proper PPE in case of heavy bleeding or vomit ? If you are gonna stop, be prepared for anything and everything.

YES! Maybe even get an autopulse!

Sarcasm?

The only thing I keep in my first aid kit is a cell phone. That way whenever I see an urban outdoorsman napping on the side of the road I can tell myself "I'd better call it in, just in case". I try to only do this when I'm already late for an appointment however, that way I can justify not stopping to investigate myself.

Edited by Bieber

Then I came across a rolled over PT cruiser, that the driver was ejected out of. He was bleeding heavily from the leg and was deeply uncx with snoring resps and blood in the airway from epistaxis. I had to wait 20min for an ambulance with nothing .....

I am currently building a kit with basic airway devices, BVM, Abd pads & gloves. Oh and suction........ ;)

I will agree with this only because I know you are lost in the rural nowheres of Albertobianuckistanada; so in this case you are more likely to be in a situation where by virtue of your location there is a greater incidence of needing to have some sort of enhanced capability.

There is a small handheld suction unit carried in the first response pack here, although a mini suction unit that is battery powered is carried in response capable vehicles that do not routinely do response work for example operations management or the clinical development team.

There is also the good ole ambo trick of rolling the patient on their side and carrying nothing for fear of Dust striking you down :D

Just follow your protocols, if in the same state as your EMT was issued. As I'm not one, won't speak as to Paramedics and their protocols.
I'd suggest to the OP to look up the many arguments of LEGAL versus MORAL obligation(s) to act, on this site.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.