Probably asked before - private EMT kit off duty?

Some say, once you turn EMS you never turn back and there's no such thing as off duty. Different local, state regulations provide different answers to what an EMT or paramedic is legally obligated to do when on the way to work or heading home or even totally off paid duty. Of course as always within ones scope of practice.

I apologize if I can't seem to find any postings re: this topic but maybe someone can recall prior discussions and send me over there or answer here, its up to you
Thanks!

Here's my question - how many of you have a personal response kit in their car, their house that they can grab at any moment, drop in an OPA and get someone stabilized until the on-duty EMS shows up on scene?

Bonus question: if your kit does incl. adjuncts such as OPA. NPA - any leads on sources to get them affordable as you won't use them again once you maintained an airway....

Thanks for any leads, links and thoughts
- Markus

The better question to ask is who's license or medical direction are you operating under while doing things like dropping an airway adjunct?

I can't believe that in San Francisco there are any areas not covered by paid full time services. If you are not an employee and do such a procedure , you would be outside the good samaritan act and thus open yourself up to litigation.

Now on to your question:

I am in a rural area and am supplied by the service with an AED, a full jump kit and O2 bag as we respond to cover a large area and may be much closer to scene than the ambulance for initial response. We are covered by the departments insurance, my states licensing agency and medical control to carry these items and use them in such a manner as trained and licensed for. As chief iof the service i buy from a large national supply company that gives us a decent discount on a regional basis. Typically 30% off list.

thanks for your response Island EMT .... I posted this to see what people's thoughts are re: what services would you provide when off duty but faced with an emergency, I think I should have phrased my "poll" differently, though curious about if off duty EMS providers go as far as inserting OPA and NPA "privately" when it comes to assist.

So whoever still will read my thread my rephrased question is: What do you provide, how far does your first aid go when you encounter an off duty medical emergency?

And what supplies do you carry?

Markus

I don't carry any supplies. If I am in the county that I work for and off duty I am more likely to stop and see what kind of help is needed when the ambulance arrives, at which point I'm covered by our medical director.

If I am in another county and I see other bystanders present I generally don't stop as there is nothing I can do that they can't. If I'm first on scene I will stop and activate 911 and do what I can with no supplies, which is generally nothing but hold their hand.

The answer to this question depends a lot on your location. When I was a volley we were allowed to carry and use OPA/NPAs as they felt we were never truly off duty.

These wankers who roll round with an entire Galls catalogue or hospital supply room in their car make want me to run them over my GMC Sierra 2500 HD ooos my bad didnt see you there I was too busy changing country stations and such ....

There was a very interesting presentation by none of than Dr Tony Smith, Clinical Director for the Ambulance Service and Chair of the National Ambulance Sector Clinical Working Group on this very thing ... i.e. what to do at the scene of a road crash, and what to carry in your car

http://www.rnzcgp.org.nz/assets/documents/Publications/Archive-NZFP/April-2006-NZFP-Vol-33-No-2/SmithApril06.pdf

http://www.adhb.govt.nz/forum05/car_prehosp/car_prehosp.htm

Now, this will obviously change if you are living in a very rural area and you need a vehicle that is capable of some type of response work because local circumstances dictate however even at that end I'd probably carry a basic first responder bag with a small tank of oxygen, not unlike our Community First Responders, basically its a large green Thomas Pack that comes with resuscitation gear, first aid bits and pieces, an LMA kit and an IV starter roll that has a couple ampoules of adrenaline and a bag of glucose 10% in the bottom.

I keep my vest in my car which contains scissors, tape, a pen light, gloves, pen, paper a watch and a pocket mask. Beyond CPR, applying pressure or calling 911, I can cut off all their clothes and shine my light on them.

I keep my vest in my car which contains scissors, tape, a pen light, gloves, pen, paper a watch and a pocket mask. Beyond CPR, applying pressure or calling 911, I can cut off all their clothes and shine my light on them.

oh and maybe have some fun with a very hairy man, his back and my tape. :D . In all seriousness. We do not have duty to act here. I would stop, call 911 , provide life saving measures that I can and wait. Edited by MariB

In Saskatchewan, if I can do it in the ambulance, I can do it in my POV on the side of the road. Legally, I could carry and use anything and everything that my ambulance contains. Now, reference Kiwi's post.

My kit contains a few ABDs, 4x4s, 2x2s, pressure dressings, cravats, saline for irrigation, handoms, various rolls of sticky stuff, scissors, window punch, OPAs, a pocket mask, and a few bandaids.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.