education and moving on

roserabbit

Can anyone tell me about "The college network" ?. Is it accredited in Florida for Florida nursing, is it credible or wasteful? I'm a full time medic on the road and work part time as a medic in the local hospital er, and looking into transitioning.

thanks in advance for your answers

As far as nursing programs, I would only look at NLN accredited schools and BSN programs. Like EMS, there is a huge push for bachelor's degreed professionals and most hospitals I know of are limiting their hiring of new-grads to BSN unless you are already in their system. I have never heard of "The college network" but I would look at universities in your area and what their programs are like.

The College Network used to be commonly seen advertised with Excelsior College (former Regents) which is known for distance education nursing programs. Excelsior is a NLNAC accredited nursing program. However, because it is distance learning with different requirements, including clinical requirements, from traditional brick and mortar institutions, some states have blacklisted graduates from this program in terms of licensing. For example, California used to hold the position that Excelsior graduates who received their RN as a result of this program were not, ever, eligible for licensure in the state no matter how many other states would issue a license. I believe Washington would not allow initial licensure but would allow for reciprocity based licensure.

Directing your inquiry to the Florida State Board of Nursing would answer your specific question directly.

I think this is definitely a case of buyer beware. If you're interested in transitioning into nursing then you're probably going to be looking at getting into a more traditional nursing program. Keep in mind that many employers are now looking for BSN as the entry level requirement for new nurses. This isn't the case everywhere. But it is increasingly common for ADNs to be passed over for BSNs in hiring practices.

Hope this helps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.